PDA

View Full Version : Is 40mm Considered a big watch?

rjw0501
17 November 2007, 02:53 AM
I currently have the TT Blue Sub ( thanks to JJ ) and while at the car wash today, I saw a guy in there with the same watch.

As I looked at his Sub, it appeared to really stand out as being a large watch. So is the 40mm Sub, larger than most, or was it the
look at me now SS/Gold/Blue, that made it appear larger?

Thanks Bob

JJ Irani
17 November 2007, 02:55 AM
I currently have the TT Blue Sub ( thanks to JJ ) and while at the car wash today, I saw a guy in there with the same watch.

As I looked at his Sub, it appeared to really stand out as being a large watch. So is the 40mm Sub, larger than most, or was it the

Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

Somehow a 40 mm always appears bigger on another guy's wrist. Also, when you see a Sub in a movie, it appears to be larger than life.

The fact is, I personally love the size and find it perfect for my wrist. I guess it also depends on one's wrist. On a very small wrist, it would appear large and wear a little lopsided 'cause at least two links would have been taken off.

Many small-wristed guys would find the 36 mm of the DJ perfect - I find it too damned small.

JJ

jasonbellevue
17 November 2007, 02:58 AM
IMHO, it's the same. His wrist circumference may have played a part in making his watch look bigger than your watch. :thumbsup: :cheers:

Rawhyde
17 November 2007, 03:00 AM
I'm not a big guy and I wear a TT Blue Sub. It doesn't look big on my arm, but when I see someone else with a GMT or Sub it looks HUGE on them! I'm only 5'8" tall, and not a bodybuilder, but I have all my links in place and the clasp is all the way out. I'm borderline on needing to add a link. (That'd SUCK because they ain't cheap!)

I used to wear a Tudor Chronograph all the time, and the Sub (even the SD) is quite a bit smaller and lighter.

Rawhyde

rjw0501
17 November 2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks JJ- I was really surprised at the look of it, other than me looking down at my wrist...I guess its just something I've gotten used to....

-Bob

rjw0501
17 November 2007, 03:10 AM
IMHO, it's the same. His wrist circumference may have played a part in making his watch look bigger than your watch. :thumbsup: :cheers:

Jason, whats your view when you see it on someone else's wrist? Does it look larger than when you look at yours?

I know this sounds stupid, but I had know idea that it appeared that large of a watch.

SPACE-DWELLER
17 November 2007, 03:32 AM
I think it depends on your wrist size whether you think of a 40 MM watch being big or not.

IMHO, a Rolex sport's watch with it 40 MM diametre is just the PERFECT size for a wrist size of 7½".

On a small and skinny wrist a Sub Date, for instance, just looks too big IMHO.

:cheers:

GoldenBear
17 November 2007, 03:52 AM
It all depends on the wrist. I am a big guy 6' 4" 275. My Sub looks like a normal watch. I had my Breitling Emergency on the other day, it is 45 or so, much bigger than my Rolex. I got my first comment on it....wow..That is a huge watch!!...I guess it all depends on who is wearing it.

haakon59
17 November 2007, 04:11 AM
It depends on the size of your wrist, I suppose. At the same time, it used to be that 40mm was generally the largest size most watchmakers/manufacturers produced, but this has changed and now you see many watches are 41-47mm. The trend used to be the opposite--it was felt most people wanted smaller sizes. Rolex has stuck with 36mm for Datejust, etc., and 40mm for their sports line. My guess is that sizes will swing back and 40mm may again become the standard size for sports watches, but who knows when this will happen? I have a 7.5 inch wrist and for me 40mm is plenty.

jasonbellevue
17 November 2007, 04:37 AM
Jason, whats your view when you see it on someone else's wrist? Does it look larger than when you look at yours?

I know this sounds stupid, but I had know idea that it appeared that large of a watch.

Not really, the Subs that I have seen on other people's wrist looked like normal wrist watches to me. I'm not a big guy, i'm only 5' 11" 195 lbs. but I don't think my Sub looks big on my wrist, at least I don't think so. (see picture)

Now, if you want to talk about big watches, Breitling's Special Edition watch for the NHLPA is HUGE! And so are Panerais.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/jasonbellevue/ChevyTahoe_BlueSub_OK.jpg

aiken gil
17 November 2007, 04:49 AM
Breitling has been driving the size of watches bigger and bigger. 10 years ago I would have said a 40mm is big, but today with som many popular watches (TAG Heuer, Omega, Breitling, IWC, Cartier...) having 42mm and larger watches, I think 40mm is an average size.

citidon
17 November 2007, 04:57 AM
Breitling has been driving the size of watches bigger and bigger. 10 years ago I would have said a 40mm is big, but today with som many popular watches (TAG Heuer, Omega, Breitling, IWC, Cartier...) having 42mm and larger watches, I think 40mm is an average size.

Agreed!:cheers:

Paulie
17 November 2007, 06:03 AM
Here's the difference between 40mm and 41mm case diameter, but the answer is depends. :thumbsup:

http://homepage.mac.com/pmalysz/gmtfromrsc1-7.jpg

HYDROMAROC
17 November 2007, 06:05 AM
It all depends on the wrist. I am a big guy 6' 4" 275. My Sub looks like a normal watch. I had my Breitling Emergency on the other day, it is 45 or so, much bigger than my Rolex. I got my first comment on it....wow..That is a huge watch!!...I guess it all depends on who is wearing it.

Same for me, except I don't have a Breitling.... :crying:

chevycorvette
17 November 2007, 09:32 AM

Thanks Bob

u are a big fan of walter? or u are walter?

Dan Pierce
17 November 2007, 10:14 AM
Depends on many factors. Size of the watch, design of the watch, and size of the wearer. I've seen watches larger than 40mm and they look smaller than their actual size. Rolex sport models wear larger for their size IMHO.
dP

Mrdi
17 November 2007, 10:17 AM
The TT Blue wears LaRGe.
Though the dial on the Exp is the same size, it wears very subtley.
The black sub wears between the two.

ohsixx
17 November 2007, 10:17 AM
My AD is a big guy and wears a 48 mm watch. Looks right for him.

DS/B MINI S
17 November 2007, 10:54 AM
As others have said, it depends on the size of your wrist AND the watch. IMHO, anything less than 40mm is too small. I have a large number of beaters, and two of the largest are my Glycine KMU 48 and Citizen Eco-Zilla.

I believe both are 48mm, but the Glycine looks larger due to the case/dial. The only time anyone has ever commented about my "big watch" was when I was wearing the KMU48.

Oyster Lover
17 November 2007, 11:34 AM
I would SO buy a larger sports model Rolex - bring it on!

:cheers::cheers:

David1971
17 November 2007, 05:02 PM
I would SO buy a larger sports model Rolex - bring it on!

:cheers::cheers:

Perhaps this one? :dummy::justkiddi:banme: