PDA

View Full Version : The 3000 vs 3130 article

RogerF
16 November 2005, 07:27 AM
Found this in my afternoon travels on the web. I know a few of you guys were asking about this a while back. James Dowling (co-author of Best of Times) describes the differences in this article. Of course all credit goes to him and his associate Mr Hess.

http://www.ukwatches.com/Notes/new_movements.html

New Models & Movements from Rolex

Rolex have introduced a new movement; their third in three years, after the 2235 lady’s movement in 1999 and the 4130 Daytona movement last year. The new movement is called the 3130 and replaces the caliber 3000 in the Air King; it does not immediately replace the 3000 in the Explorer 14270 or the Submariner 14060 but new variants of these two watches will follow in the next few months.

The 30XX series replaced the 15XX series starting in 1977 with the 3035 and the last two models to be replaced were the 1016 Explorer and the 5513 Submariner, the last of which were produced in 1988. The 30XX series were replaced by the 31XX series from 1990 and now (once again) 11 years after the introduction of the series the non-date version is introduced.

Collectors might argue with the choice of the Air King, as the vehicle with which to introduce the new movement but it is difficult to argue with the commercial logic behind the choice. The Air King is a much more vital model to the company than either the 14270 or the 14060, both of which are essentially low production watches whilst the Air King is one of the company’s volume sellers. The new Air King will bear the same model number 14000 but it will now be followed by the letter M (whether it stands for “modified” is something I have been unable to discover). The other Air Kings and the non-date chronometers (14203 & 14208) will also have the letter M appended to their model numbers with the fitting of the new movement.

The 3130 is distinguished from the 3000 by several features; whilst it still beats at 28,000bph it now uses a balance bridge rather than a balance cock and also has a Breguet overcoil hairspring; this means that now all Rolex movements will feature these two company signatures. Also introduced on the 3130 are a new style of reversers for the automatic movement; these are much more efficient than the ones currently used and are an offshoot of the ones introduced 2 years ago on the 2235 lady’s movement. It can safely be assumed that the new reversers will gradually be introduced across the rest of the range, but it is rare that the “base” movement gets technological advances before the more “high end” variants.

The Air King & non-date chronometers will hit the shops within the next few weeks whilst the non date Submariner 14060 will arrive around 4 to 5 weeks later (probably May/June) and the much more revised Explorer a further month later. The new Explorer will bear a new serial number 114270 and will not only have the new movement but also a new bracelet with solid end links which also has a new model number 78690.

The new Air Kings and Submariners represent greater value for money than at present, as they are now chronometer grade movements essentially being sold at a discount. In fact all of the watches with the new movement are now offering more “bang for your buck” as none of the prices have increased at all.

Please note that the delivery times and the price information relate to the UK market only and may not be relevant to your market.

Goodwatch
16 November 2005, 07:32 AM
Found this in my afternoon travels on the web. I know a few of you guys were asking about this a while back. James Dowling (co-author of Best of Times) describes the differences in this article. Of course all credit goes to him and his associate Mr Hess.

http://www.ukwatches.com/Notes/new_movements.html

Wow, and thank you very much. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is in fact what I hoped for, a Sub (without date) with a chronometer movement! Tyler, this is your chance as well! :thumbsup:

RogerF
16 November 2005, 07:48 AM
Wow, and thank you very much. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is in fact what I hoped for, a Sub (without date) with a chronometer movement! Tyler, this is your chance as well! :thumbsup:

Well its nothing new that the 3130 is a chonometer "grade" movement, its just that Rolex doesnt send the movements it puts into the 14060M for certification. To me its just a piece of paper, I have no probs buying a 14060M as it is a great watch with a killer movement. This is an older article and when they refer to the chronometer versions hitting the stores they mean the 114270.

Heres a nice review on the "no date" (hate calling it that) http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2250&rid=2

baseballduck
16 November 2005, 08:07 AM
Thats awesome! But I'm kinda confused. What happened? LOL

Tyler

Goodwatch
16 November 2005, 08:12 AM
Well its nothing new that the 3130 is a chonometer "grade" movement, its just that Rolex doesnt send the movements it puts into the 14060M for certification. To me its just a piece of paper, I have no probs buying a 14060M as it is a great watch with a killer movement. This is an older article and when they refer to the chronometer versions hitting the stores they mean the 114270.

Heres a nice review on the "no date" (hate calling it that) http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2250&rid=2

I know that. And I also know that it is just a piece of paper. But that's how it is. Suppose we both went through the same education. And during those years we both had straight A's. Top students. Genius material. But you did your final exams and I didn't. Who's the Doctor then? You! I will be a looser without his diploma. :thumbsdow

Besides that, I’m a sucker for these things, I can’t help it.:clap: Maybe this is why I like Rolex so much. It is the product of great marketing. And, in my view, an underdog. Yes, an underdog. I guess the other great watch houses (AP, GP, PP, UN) are treating Rolex as ‘new money’. No real pedigree, snobbery. That’s why I like them. They move with the mind boggling pace of a turtle. Never go for fads. Take 20 years or more to change a model. Great! I love it. And the more people tell me Rolex are vulgar, the more I like them. :thumbsup:

Gedanken
16 November 2005, 08:15 AM
Technically true, Frans, but I can tell you firsthand that, unless you're making reservations with an airline or restuarant, the "Doctor" thing's way overrated. :chuckle:

Goodwatch
16 November 2005, 08:34 AM
Technically true, Frans, but I can tell you firsthand that, unless you're making reservations with an airline or restuarant, the "Doctor" thing's way overrated. :chuckle:

I know. I have also have a degree. It looks OK on your business card, but that's about it in a country like mine. (Not in Germany. LOL. Herr Doctor und Herr Diplom Ingenieur, me). But I think you know what I was getting at.

Great, this 'slow chat', I really like you guys! :thumbsup:

Gedanken
16 November 2005, 08:38 AM
Hey, we could do the Spies Like Us "doctor doctor" routine! :chuckle:

Hmm, ex-soldier, now doctor, collects Rolexes ...

MY GOD, I'VE FOUND MY LONG-LOST DUTCH TWIN! :chuckle:

Goodwatch
16 November 2005, 08:49 AM
Thats awesome! But I'm kinda confused. What happened? LOL

Tyler

I will explain, you only teenager with brains in the Western Hemisphere. :thumbsup: Up until now, the Sub (non date) came with a movement that wasn’t COSC certified. But very soon, this will change. The movement of this Sub will become COSC certified and the only difference between the 16610 and this Sub is the date window and the cyclops. But much cheaper. Go for it! :thumbsup:

maverick
16 November 2005, 11:05 AM
I will explain, you only teenager with brains in the Western Hemisphere. :thumbsup: Up until now, the Sub (non date) came with a movement that wasn’t COSC certified. But very soon, this will change. The movement of this Sub will become COSC certified and the only difference between the 16610 and this Sub is the date window and the cyclops. But much cheaper. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Why would Rolex have the ND Sub COSC certified? What reason would they have to change their marketing on this watch? COSC is now just a marketing tool anyway. JMO=) maverick

mailman
16 November 2005, 11:17 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this already happened, hence the "M" in the 14060m? :thinking:

BruceS
16 November 2005, 11:35 AM
The movement yes, but not the COSC on the Sub. Not sure how old the article is, 'cause the Explorer I and Roger have are COSC certified with the 3130. I reckon Rolex just figured they may as well go to the trouble with the Sub too.

JJ Irani
16 November 2005, 03:51 PM
That's an old article, guys.....the ND-Sub has the letter 'M' at the back of the model number which means that the movement has been Modified. No chronometer certificate has yet been attached to it.

JJ

padi56
16 November 2005, 05:44 PM
Why would Rolex have the ND Sub COSC certified? What reason would they have to change their marketing on this watch? is now just a marketing tool anyway. JMO=) maverick
Must agree the COSC is just pure hype,nothing more nothing less. :thumbsup: