PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else had this Issue?

It Tells Defect
19 January 2015, 09:55 PM
Friend drops her Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date from 50cms onto a tile floor and the crystal shatters. Cost estimate to repair $650!

If a company advertises that its products are designed and made by space age craftsmen, are therefore indestructible and go on to tell history, why was this defect subject to redesigned - surely the two most likely things to happen to a watch are to be dropped and to slam into a door or wall.

A good part of the estimate was a service!!! I have had a camel Trophy Chronograph for almost 30 years and have worn it all that time - with countless drops and slams. It has never had a service.

It's cost - you guessed - $650!

HERITAGE82
19 January 2015, 10:51 PM
Watches are not meant to be dropped nor slammed into door jams. There is only so much a watch manufacturer can do when making a sleek item.... I mean sure if it was coated like a G shock it could take it, but it wouldn't look as nice.

MonBK
19 January 2015, 10:54 PM
What is your question?

mike
19 January 2015, 10:59 PM
Friend of mine had one he hit with a hammer one time. Damn thing broke...go figure.:thinking:

mjclark32
19 January 2015, 11:00 PM
I was parking the other day and scraped my wheel against the curb, Mercedes wants $900 to replace the wheel. Can you believe that? With all their brand history and safety features? Don't you think they'd have been able to design a curb proof wheel by now?

Vincent65
Plenty have been dropped and broken, from what I have read online. They are not indestructible. Just tough. Dropping on tiles is not going to help any watch.

KBM
I'm sorry to hear your friend's misfortune, but expecting a mechanical watch to withstand a drop on a tile floor is a bit unrealistic.

greggsiam
19 January 2015, 11:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VrgtVKB.jpg

oooteedee
19 January 2015, 11:05 PM
Sapphire crystal - scratch proof, not adamantium!

MonBK
19 January 2015, 11:15 PM
Friend of mine had one he hit with a hammer one time. Damn thing broke...go figure.:thinking:

Didn't the warranty cover that?

KINGROLESAR
19 January 2015, 11:16 PM
Was working outside and set my Rolex in the middle of the road when seemingly out of nowhere a steamroller came along and ran over it - replacement cost was quoted at $6,800!!! What the ____ !!!!!

cop414
19 January 2015, 11:17 PM
OMG...:banghead:

Good bye OP, IBTL and all that stuff,,,

Old Expat Beast
19 January 2015, 11:17 PM
Troll.

MonBK
19 January 2015, 11:21 PM
Was working outside and set my Rolex in the middle of the road when seemingly out of nowhere a steamroller came along and ran over it - replacement cost was quoted at $6,800!!! What the ____ !!!!!

That's what happens when you don't buy from a trusted seller!

Floorguy
19 January 2015, 11:23 PM
:banghead::banghead: This could be one of the reasons why Peter wants to hang up his hat!!!:dummy:

cop414
19 January 2015, 11:29 PM
:banghead::banghead: This could be one of the reasons why Peter wants to hang up his hat!!!:dummy:

Amen brother!:clap:

GoingPlaces
19 January 2015, 11:30 PM
It's called physics.

KINGROLESAR
19 January 2015, 11:38 PM
That's what happens when you don't buy from a trusted seller!

That's right my friend :lol:

Brushpup
19 January 2015, 11:42 PM
I'll be looking at my watch today and marveling about those space age craftsmen who made it. :chuckle:

I didn't know that. :rofl: :rofl:

ratty
20 January 2015, 12:05 AM

Crude, but it made me laugh :thumbsup:.

SUBversive
20 January 2015, 01:55 AM
Local AD (two brothers) who do on site repair both had the biggest belly laugh when rolex and marble tile floors were mentioned in the same sentence.

johneh
20 January 2015, 02:21 AM
If a company advertises that its products are designed and made by space age craftsmen, are therefore indestructible

:lol: Rolex has been poaching NASA engineers and transforming them into watch makers for years...everyone knows that!

Tri-Tip
20 January 2015, 02:27 AM
If your friend had Jeweler's Mutual insurance, I believe dropping the watch on the floor would be covered. Not sure if it would cover the entire service, but if the service is required to ensure that the results of the drop are fixed, it just might.

I am in no way affiliated with Jeweler's Mutual Insurance.

domrusso10
20 January 2015, 02:31 AM

Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixshooter
20 January 2015, 02:35 AM
I was parking the other day and scraped my wheel against the curb, Mercedes wants $900 to replace the wheel. Can you believe that? With all their brand history and safety features? Don't you think they'd have been able to design a curb proof wheel by now?

No kidding! Sue them I say! lol

fullcourt
20 January 2015, 02:52 AM
true....lol

AK797
20 January 2015, 03:06 AM
Great username, can see you're going to be a 10K poster.

tkerrmd
20 January 2015, 03:06 AM
Friend drops her Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date from 50cms onto a tile floor and the crystal shatters. Cost estimate to repair $650!

If a company advertises that its products are designed and made by space age craftsmen, are therefore indestructible and go on to tell history, why was this defect subject to redesigned - surely the two most likely things to happen to a watch are to be dropped and to slam into a door or wall.

A good part of the estimate was a service!!! I have had a camel Trophy Chronograph for almost 30 years and have worn it all that time - with countless drops and slams. It has never had a service.

pretty unrealistic if you live in this world:thinking:

locutus49
20 January 2015, 03:09 AM
The watch or the hammer?

locutus49
20 January 2015, 03:10 AM
Either this or the 30 Swiss Franc threads.....

MTROIS
20 January 2015, 03:11 AM

Not sure if it matters, but crystals have never been advertised to withstand a drop on a tile floor... Even the hesalite synthetic crystal of the Moonwatch may break, but at least won't shatter.
Fact that the movement is still working is a testament to the quality of the watch IMO.

rollerball
20 January 2015, 07:22 PM
For $650, you at least get a new crystal. Wait till you send for servicing...

Andad
20 January 2015, 08:45 PM

Big or small hammer Mike?

Andad
20 January 2015, 08:46 PM

Or the ones that will keep him here.:thumbsup:

rolex_DateJust
20 January 2015, 09:03 PM
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff485/rolex_DateJust/CFE7B145-E3D5-4966-9A4D-0CB4FEFE507F.jpg (http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/rolex_DateJust/media/CFE7B145-E3D5-4966-9A4D-0CB4FEFE507F.jpg.html)

rolex_DateJust
20 January 2015, 09:05 PM
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff485/rolex_DateJust/61FD0270-42BE-473B-AD1B-23B097189B54.jpg (http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/rolex_DateJust/media/61FD0270-42BE-473B-AD1B-23B097189B54.jpg.html)

Furbo
20 January 2015, 09:10 PM

If a company advertises that its products are designed and made by space age craftsmen, are therefore indestructible and go on to tell history, why was this defect subject to redesigned - surely the two most likely things to happen to a watch are to be dropped and to slam into a door or wall.!

So if you'll buy a Ferrari, you'll expect to be able to crash it into wall with no damage?

MonBK
20 January 2015, 09:23 PM
So if you'll buy a Ferrari, you'll expect to be able to crash it into wall with no damage?

They are not built by space age craftsmen.

brandrea
20 January 2015, 10:17 PM
Either this or the 30 Swiss Franc threads.....

:rofl::thumbsup:

Rags
20 January 2015, 11:33 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:

franklin
20 January 2015, 11:41 PM
I smashed my Rolex explorer into a brick wall. Clutzy move. The crystal was alright. Thank heavens but one of the hands had come off. Rolex fixed it under warranty.

Brushpup
20 January 2015, 11:47 PM
They are not built by space age craftsmen.

:lol::lol:
I think this tells defect. :chuckle:

dysondiver
20 January 2015, 11:53 PM

probably just a faulty hammer , im sure they will replace it , they are meant to withstand constant repeated striking of a hard object.... :lol:

MonBK
20 January 2015, 11:55 PM
probably just a faulty hammer , im sure they will replace it , they are meant to withstand constant repeated striking of a hard object.... :lol:

Agree, he should have bought a Snap-On with lifetime warranty.

dysondiver
21 January 2015, 12:14 AM
Agree, he should have bought a Snap-On with lifetime warranty.

side note ,,, i actually bought a snap on hammer ,,, plastic ball pein one ,,, i bought it second hand to try as i couldnt believe anyone [except estwing and their weight forward hammer ,, but its a claw ] could possibly redefine how a hammer works , shot filled or not ,,,
i only bought a 16oz one ,,, its outrageous , best hammer i own , i use it for all sorts of body work and general fabrication ,,, ok i bought a few more , including the soft face hammers , shot filled.
and yes ,,,, life time warranty ,,, id just not like to hit a watch with it ,,, something would break , and i feel id not be testing the snap on warranty.:thumbsup:

aaamax
21 January 2015, 12:34 AM
Troll.

Yes.
Just look at the Op's name… I don't think the op will be back again, think?

cht
21 January 2015, 08:00 AM

I have had a camel Trophy Chronograph for almost 30 years and have worn it all that time - with countless drops and slams. It has never had a service.

Guys, troll or not, I think his issue was his cheap Camel (cigarettes!?!) watch has been dropped and beaten for 30 years and never needed $650 work of repair/service.

Though a quartz movement and probably plexi crystal, that cheap watch was designed for durability without needing attention, whereas, the Rolex is not, it is more a luxury item.

Like a Honda vs a Ferrari, similar things designed with to very different purposes in mind.

21 January 2015, 05:54 PM

great example

my car has some curb rash too

I am going to riot :rofl:

jamesbondOO7
21 January 2015, 06:02 PM
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i465/Loleux/2f682054.jpg

Shit happens

M777
21 January 2015, 06:09 PM
Plenty have been dropped and broken, from what I have read online. They are not indestructible. Just tough. Dropping on tiles is not going to help any watch.

Agreed.
I dropped an Orient Mako on tile a few weeks ago while putting it on and it landed right on the side of the case and can barely notice the blemish. It looses 5 mins a day now. I now put on/remove all of my watches over my bed. Luckily it wasn't an expensive mistake. If you want a bullet proof auto watch, good luck finding one.

MonBK
21 January 2015, 07:16 PM
Yes.
Just look at the Op's name… I don't think the op will be back again, think?

He hasn't been back since he posted.

Jake B
21 January 2015, 07:37 PM
What issue....glass breaking from a fall to the floor? Yes, I think that pretty much everyone has.

Ruud Van Driver
21 January 2015, 07:47 PM

Awesome! :rofl:

To the OP, crystals are scratch proof not unbreakable. Get your friend to have a look at the remnants of the crystal and see if the drop scratched it. If so, you might get a new crystal under warranty. :thumbsup:

scott k
9 March 2015, 02:00 PM
If you drop your pants at the wrong time....very expensive

Psmith
9 March 2015, 09:26 PM
'Space age' sounds like the 1950s...

Racerdj
9 March 2015, 09:38 PM
Many things do not survive the tile floor drop.

Rolex addict
10 March 2015, 06:22 AM
Nice thread. To get back to the original issue (or at least what I "think" the issue is), Yes, many people drop their Rolex on a tile floor and crack the crystal. Yes, it is expensive to replace.

watchwatcher
10 March 2015, 07:09 AM
Why no...I haven't had this issue. But thanks for asking.

Bladesfield
10 March 2015, 07:25 AM
Sapphire crystals are extremely brittle, if you drop it and it hits the crystal, it's going to shatter.

If you don't like it, then get a watch with acrylic, it's going to scratch just from looking at it, but it won't shatter if you drop it.