PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 6200 Information

Billybob7
16 May 2009, 10:59 AM
About two month ago I traded with a friend for my first Rolex…a GMT-Master 1961 with the Pepsi dial…I love it…I was showing it to my Aunt and she said she had her Husband’s (Passed away 18 years ago) old Rolex…she says she has no interest in the watch and has offered to give it to me.

My research has found the following

· Rolex, Oyster Perpetual
· No other marking on dial
· 6200, engraved under spring-bar at top of watch (12:00)
· Brevet, engraved under spring-bar at bottom of watch (6:00)
· Serial Number to worn to read, some number are visible
· Bubble back
. 8mm Stem
. No stem guards
· Brevet also under Rolex Crown on stem
· Riveted expansion band

The watch is not working…but when you attempt to set the correct time it will run for three to five seconds.

My Aunt say it was purchased for her to give to her husband, over sea’ by a friend back in the 50’s and when it quit working many years ago it was put in a drawer.

The expansion band has one link that does not spring back into place, the band is missing the end caps (Wonder which one it had back in the 50’s), there are small chips in the crystal, part of the luminescent material has fallen out of the minute hand, the bezel will not turn, there is a small hole in white diamond on top of the bezel that looks like it may have had something in it at one time.

I’ve contacted the San Francisco RSC but the gentleman I spoke with didn’t know a lot about this watch…he did ask his boss and they said $900 and up to repair this watch due to it’s age along with parts my be an issue…but would not give a firm quote till it was inspected personally.

I have looked for over three hours attempting to locate a value so I can make a decision if I want to spend the amount needed to restore my Uncle’s old Rolex 6200 to a condition that’s it’s wearable.

Anybody have some thoughts? Is San Francisco RSC reputable? Or should I look elsewhere?

:cheers: Thanks

After Tools made the observation "There are a couple of dial anomolies too such as the white pring, as well as the Mercedes hand"...I check with my Aunt and according to her the watch has never beens serviced by anybody ever...nor has it ever been in for repairs...She claime everything on the watch is how it was delivered to her...She also claims is arrived in a Rolex Box with papers, but those have long since dissapeared. TOO BAD, any way I have located pictures of a watch identical to the one I have...some other confusing information says this model was 1955 but others say the watch was prior to the Sub-Mariner and was only made in 1953 and the the 6200 was replace by a different model number...which I think became the James Bond with Sub-Mariner on the dial and a different movement.

TimeToGo
16 May 2009, 11:08 AM
I am sure you will get some folks attention here!

Tools
16 May 2009, 11:22 AM
Contact Bob Ridley at www.watchmakers.com

This watch would be worth spending almost any amount of money to restore

If authentic, the 6200 was likely the first Submariner ever produced in 1953.

The bracelet may have been replaced at one time, or the end-pieces... I believe that the curved "flush-fits" were in use back in '53.

There are a couple of dial anomolies too such as the white print, as well as the Mercedes hand...but it is worth knowing what you have...

JimSnyder
16 May 2009, 11:55 AM
Oh Wow :joy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Imtiaz
16 May 2009, 01:07 PM
This is a piece of Rolex history.

Get it fixed. Even at $2000 for fixing it will be worth it.

Not sure about the price, but it's probably well into the high 20 thousands.

These are rare as the rarerest.

I think there is a descritption of one in the Collecting Rolex Watches book.

Bisquitlips
16 May 2009, 01:14 PM
Oh my!!! First one of those that I have seen posted on TRF.

Get it all fixed! I'm drooling!!!

Watchdog
16 May 2009, 04:16 PM
Very nice story! Congrats! The pictures are not of the actual watch, correct? Can you post pictures of the watch you have?

:cheers:

mike
16 May 2009, 07:22 PM
As Larry said, send the watch to Bob. Have him evaluate it and if all is well pay the price.

That is a piece of history in addition to an heirloom.:thumbsup:

Go here to see examples,

http://www.network54.com/Forum/538180/

Billybob7
16 May 2009, 11:33 PM
Very nice story! Congrats! The pictures are not of the actual watch, correct? Can you post pictures of the watch you have?

These are actual pictures of the watch I have...that's why the picture quality is so bad, I'm not too good at taking close-up pictures of watches.

Balboa
17 May 2009, 02:01 AM
You have run across treasure. By all means have the watch mechanically repaired and serviced, but try and keep everything else as original as possible.

The riveted band is correct for the period and the correct end pieces can probably be found.

Mark

Billybob7
17 May 2009, 10:34 PM
After reading the replies I’m sure my Aunt didn’t realize or have any idea the value of this watch…I surly didn’t.

The correct decision for me is to inform her of the history and what the watch may be worth and allowing her family to make any decisions as what to do with the 6200…when I first saw the watch it looked like and well worn non operation old Rolex to me…WHAT A SURPRISE.

Thanks to all that replied and I’ll pass the information on to her about Bob Ridley at www.watchmakers.com

Philipp
30 May 2009, 08:50 PM
WHAOOO, what a nice & rare Submariner you have!!

Cool to see it's still in all original condition...please be VERY careful what you're going to do with it, this because of the decreased value when not done properly...

For me the 6200 is my grail...& the only one missing in my Submariner collection, so if you are interested in selling, let me know.

Best Philipp

koronet-kid
31 May 2009, 11:37 PM
like phillip said

this is a very rare and very very valuable watch be very careful what yo do with it. probably worth more if you dont touch it at all.
good luck

regards sean

SLS
1 June 2009, 12:53 AM
Wow, congrats! Hope is all checks out.
Good luck,
Scott

Lol-x
1 June 2009, 01:22 AM
Great find. :cheers:

TheDude
1 June 2009, 02:12 AM
Superb!

For those lusting but not owning, there's a project underfoot to make a 6538 homage. No 3, 6, 9 dial tho...

I have one of the 300 on order...

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/images/Kingston/Draft_4.0.jpg

the watchmaker has been teasing us with pics of some of the parts as they come in... this photo is the trip-lock tube (the big one) next to the smaller standard tubes they normally use:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/obie33/MKII%20Watches/IMG_4497.jpg

Some 6200s in top condition...

http://vrfimages.com/dials/dials/SUBS/6200/6200Pair-KevinO.jpg

peppermannen
4 June 2009, 06:20 AM
AWESOME! Either you or your aunt will be very happy to own that. Congrats!

Petter

bamajoe
6 June 2009, 11:37 PM
Beautiful watch!!!!! I have the same watch with a similiar story. My Dad purchased the watch in Germany while in the Army and since gave the watch to me 20 plus years ago. Long story short, I have been doing research and educating myself on this particuliar model and found that it is very rare and worth a great deal. I personally have decided to keep mine for now......Good luck.....

peppermannen
9 June 2009, 07:18 AM
There's one for sale on ebay at 100k..............

onkyo
9 June 2009, 01:56 PM
Wow.... :dude:

topcat30093
13 June 2012, 11:01 AM
While researching 6200, I came across this old thread.

I wonder what the end story was in the end??

Would truly love to find something like this :)

Michael M.
13 June 2012, 11:06 AM
He ended up selling it.

Mark020
13 June 2012, 06:55 PM
For an amount he couldn't have dreamed of I suppose :-)

Kingair
13 June 2012, 07:36 PM
Gents these are amazing pieces . . .

HAGOne

eparisini
13 June 2012, 07:45 PM
Lucky man!
You traded a watch that worthes $ 10.000 for a one that worthes $ 100.000!!!
Be very careful to restore it. do the less you can... it is in stunning original conditions!

Robbyvm
14 June 2012, 12:04 AM
haleluja !!

azguy
14 June 2012, 12:17 AM
That was a cool looking watch :cheers:

Keeperoftime
14 June 2012, 01:02 AM
That was a cool looking watch :cheers:

X10

topcat30093
14 June 2012, 07:09 PM
He ended up selling it.

Thanks Michael for letting me know:thumbsup:

Regards

Tony

HRPinDC
16 June 2012, 09:24 AM
After reading the replies I’m sure my Aunt didn’t realize or have any idea the value of this watch…I surly didn’t.

The correct decision for me is to inform her of the history and what the watch may be worth and allowing her family to make any decisions as what to do with the 6200…when I first saw the watch it looked like and well worn non operation old Rolex to me…WHAT A SURPRISE.

Thanks to all that replied and I’ll pass the information on to her about Bob Ridley at www.watchmakers.com

What a class act! You are a good man. Congratulations on discovering such a wonderful watch.

Tools
16 June 2012, 09:26 AM
A great story...

However, it was several years ago... :cheers: