PDA

View Full Version : Rolex GMT transparent caseback Prof. Huge G.

javierleon
30 May 2009, 06:43 AM
Maybe you know already, but have this information from an old audition.

Is the GMT with transparent caseback that Rolex make for Prof. Huge. G. Wale long time ago , 1961.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4808/transparentcaseback2.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8076/transcaseback.jpg

2careless
30 May 2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for sharing! An official transparent caseback from Rolex. That's something unique :cheers:
Is this auction still current? :-) Argh, no worries ...

Bisquitlips
30 May 2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for sharing! An official transparent caseback from Rolex. That's something unique :cheers:

X2!!!

I never knew..............! :thumbsup:

cwru32
30 May 2009, 08:58 AM
wow that was a post! didnt knw rolex ever had tranparent back!!

mike
30 May 2009, 11:07 AM
As I recall that watch went for $$$$$$. A truly rare example.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lamone
30 May 2009, 11:15 AM
Great information!
I may send Rolex a request so that I can also install in transparent caseback.
It will give me the opportunity to stare I mean study the mouvement most of the day.

Tools
30 May 2009, 11:49 AM
They don't do much custom work any more............:thumbsup:

javierleon
30 May 2009, 07:05 PM

No still current, i found this

"Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date GMT-Master with transparent back

Estimated price: 20,000USD^30,000USD
Purchase price: 125,500USD

Certified by The Swiss Official Chronometer Control. Model number: 1675. Made in 1960's. Good appearance and quite rare, automatic winding movement, dual time, central second hand, with calendars, special made transparent back, special 24hour index and hand. With official certificate of The Swiss Official Chronometer Control, a book named "The story of Time", after sales certificate of Rolex as complimentary gifts.

This is not a common GMT, otherwise it is only worth a few dozen thousand Yuan. This GMT is a custom product which Professor Hugh G. Wales of University of South Africa ordered from Rolex on 7th of March, 1962. It is not only custom-made but also with transparent back which is quite rare in the history of Rolex. Of all the Rolex products, apart from two oysters with manual winding movement and transparent back in 1940's, this is the third transparent product recognized by the factory. Maybe at that time, Rolex was not so missish and could accept such special custom-made products. The more precious thing for this GMT is that the letters between the factory at that time and the professor are being kept, telling the cause and effect of this custom-made product, so it is called Rolex with stories. The purchase price also reflects the popularity of this treasure. I think although it is furious, but not enough. If it is on auction again several years later, the price maybe several times higher. "

Imtiaz
30 May 2009, 07:57 PM
$125K Wow.

Well it's the only one in the world. I guess collectors would want to buy it or Rolex may have purchased it themselves for their museum.

Lamone
30 June 2009, 05:08 PM
I'd love to get myself an aftermarket clear caseback.

Watchdog
1 July 2009, 09:58 AM
That watch was a very interesting piece. I didn't know it went for that much money. Wow!

4000 feet
3 February 2010, 07:05 PM
I might contact Rolex to see if they will do the same for my 1675. I too would like to study the movement. Sounds neat. Maybe I will get the 4th officially recognized transparent watch from Rolex.