PDA

View Full Version : Here's mine..

lobo58
30 May 2009, 12:18 PM
I love this watch...and I'll part with it next week. I'll probably use some of the money to buy another vintage...but, since the forums new, here it is, one last time.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m228/lobo58/watches005-1-1.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m228/lobo58/6263wrist.jpg

sojourner
30 May 2009, 12:29 PM
Geez, it's gotta be a tough thing to have such a lovely watch that you've had for so long and be offered a serious chunk of change for it. I would probably do the same though...take the $$$, spend $10k on another vintage Rolex to take up the void, and then head down somewhere in the Caribbean Sea to bury my head in the sand for a couple of weeks..!!!

lobo58
30 May 2009, 12:36 PM
Geez, it's gotta be a tough thing to have such a lovely watch that you've had for so long and be offered a serious chunk of change for it. I would probably do the same though...take the $$$, spend $10k on another vintage Rolex to take up the void, and then head down somewhere in the Caribbean Sea to bury my head in the sand for a couple of weeks..!!!

Pretty much my plan. I'll buy a 16610, maybe a 1680, maybe a vintage Benrus Sky Chief...maybe a couple of hookers and an eight ball (kidding)....and I'll be sad for a bit.

But when I'm fly fishing in the Sierras, shooting pictures of my Sub and beautiful trout, side by side, I figure I'll be okay......

sojourner
30 May 2009, 12:57 PM
Pretty much my plan. I'll buy a 16610, maybe a 1680, maybe a vintage Benrus Sky Chief...maybe a couple of hookers and an eight ball (kidding)....and I'll be sad for a bit.

But when I'm fly fishing in the Sierras, shooting pictures of my Sub and beautiful trout, side by side, I figure I'll be okay......

This sounds like a perfect plan sir...God speed and good luck on the transaction next week.

peppermannen
31 May 2009, 12:17 AM
That's one watch I'd never part with! Sad to hear you're selling it.

Petter

Tools
31 May 2009, 12:21 AM
That's a great looking watch..:thumbsup:

But, I'm like you.........I would rather have several watches that I wear the heck out of rather than a couple of valuable icons in the safe....

At some point, somebody has to sell to keep watches in circulation, and handing everything down to the next generation is a nice gesture, but not always practical..:cheers:

lobo58
31 May 2009, 10:36 AM
That's a great looking watch..:thumbsup:

But, I'm like you.........I would rather have several watches that I wear the heck out of rather than a couple of valuable icons in the safe....

At some point, somebody has to sell to keep watches in circulation, and handing everything down to the next generation is a nice gesture, but not always practical..:cheers:

Thanks, really. I'll grab a 16610 as part of the deal, and then start shopping for a Sky Chief and a Monaco. My heart will be broken for twenty minutes.

mfer
31 May 2009, 02:52 PM
Mark!!!!! Please don't do it!!!!! OMG, what a watch!

lobo58
31 May 2009, 08:30 PM
Mark!!!!! Please don't do it!!!!! OMG, what a watch!

Pretty much the point, mfer. It's a museum watch. I'm an active guy. I fish rugged trout streams. I dive. I work hard. And though the watch has been there in the past, it'd be silly to risk it that way again. A Sub or a GMT suits me better. This watch belongs with a collector who will treat it properly, not on the wrist of a yahoo like me as a daily beater.

Trust me, I've had long and heartfelt arguments with myself about this--even told myself I can leave it on the shelf and wear another watch day to day--but when I leave the house I'm like Bilbo, and discover, on the drive to work, that I'm wearing it still. Were I fabulously well to do I'd put it in the safe and buy another dream watch, a 1680 or a Tudor snowflake, but I'm just a lucky working stiff who likes great watches.

It's hard, but selling it is the right thing to do.

buz-lh
31 May 2009, 10:58 PM
I think your decision is right on. You can do a lot with the proceeds from the Daytona and still have a number of fine timepieces to enjoy. Your picture reminds me of a Mardi Gras cardshark gunslinger.:cheers:

Imtiaz
1 June 2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks, really. I'll grab a 16610 as part of the deal, and then start shopping for a Sky Chief and a Monaco. My heart will be broken for twenty minutes.

Hope you keep safe and use some devious ways of getting there and getting back.

lobo58
1 June 2009, 12:55 AM
Hope you keep safe and use some devious ways of getting there and getting back.

Thank you much! I'll be the guy in the London Fog wearing these:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m228/lobo58/groucho.gif