PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a query!

db9ers
19 June 2009, 07:36 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to put this!! I recently purchased a Rolex Oyster serial number on the edge at the bottom of the watch is 337384.

I believe it is SS. It has a new black leather strap.

It is mechanical, on the dial it has the numbers (not roman numerals) all the way around. All it says on the dial is Rolex Oyster (under the rolex crown) at the top of the dial under the 12. Above 6 it says shock resisting.

On the winder it has shock resistant (no crown).

The dial is pale creamy white in colour.

I would love to know more about it!

TIA

Shaman
20 June 2009, 02:05 AM
That serial number would make it a 1958/1959 model. Do you have any pictures?

db9ers
20 June 2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks, I will try and photograph it.

db9ers
20 June 2009, 05:03 AM
Right!! Next problem, I have images on my desktop - but how do I put them on here?

KCRandy
20 June 2009, 05:33 AM
Took me a couple trys to understand how to do that, too. Don't use the post quick reply. Use the Post reply option. There you will find an attachment icon and when you click on that it will ask you to browse your computer for the files you wish to upload. In the post quick reply you only have the url option.

db9ers
20 June 2009, 06:01 AM

Yeah - I did it!! Now tell me about this watch!! :lol:

db9ers
26 June 2009, 05:36 AM
Now I have managed to photograph it, i'll have to wait until I see my grandfather before I can take the back off - he has the appropriate 'spanner' thing.

Any ideas anyone??

agw2872
26 June 2009, 07:56 AM
Do you know if the dial has been restored?

db9ers
27 June 2009, 02:24 AM
Hi, not as far as I know, my grandfather purchased it in an auction in Bath (UK) we have done nothing to it except replace the strap.

The small marks on the hand look like tarnish through the glass.

I was also wondering about value too.

TIA

adam78
27 June 2009, 03:24 AM
The dial does look to have been redone at some point (and hands relumed).

This is probably not a terribly valuable Rolex, ca. mid-50s, most likely with a 15J or 17J non-chronometer manual wind movement. If the dial were original it might be worth $600-900 or so, subtracting about 20% for refinished dial (assuming rest of watch is authentic). Just my thoughts, as I'm no expert, but based on a few years of Rolex collecting experience.

SLS
27 June 2009, 03:25 AM
The lack of markings at 6:00 hint that the dial may have been refinished or at the very least, relumed.
Scott

heresiarh
27 June 2009, 03:27 AM
it doesn't have a date so price might be lower. i would actully put the price range btw 6-700.

why do you want to sell it? its a classic piece and will look good on the wrist. why not keep it?

db9ers
27 June 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys, it's definately not for sale, I have just bought it for my husband for his 40th birthday, he absolutely loves it, and wears it with pride.

I come from a family of Rolex lovers, and my elderly grandfather is the horologist of the family, he is 84 years young and is still dealing with watches mainly. He has owned some great watches over the years, Pateks, IWC, JLC and he recently bought a 'double red' (I have yet to see it).

He also has a rare Milgauss, I'll have to ask the number - but by all accounts it's rather special - it would have to be, a new bezel may cost in the region of £12k!!

Thanks again, and I'll add more pics, when I get down to see him - I have told him about the website, but he's not that computer literate - i'm working on it for him!!