PDA

View Full Version : Modified GMT II To Buy or Not To Buy....

unclesallie
23 June 2009, 10:26 AM
Today I was at an AD killing one hour whilst in Timonium, Maryland, and saw a TT Black Face GMT, used, which they told me was 1970's vintage. Hmm. :thinking: Price? very cheap.Trade on my white face DJ: excellent value. My interest was really peaked. Why such a good trade? Why such a low price? Then I started looking carefully and asking a bunch of questions: how could this serial number be in the 8 million range and be a 1970's watch?(of course, this I had to check just now, online). Not possible. Then I noticed the crystal was sapphire.....:thinking: Then, the salesperson, took the watch back and they told me: 1. crystal replaced. 2. bezel replaced. 3. submariner bracelet replaced original. The watch looks great, BUT I'm thinking its resale value is significantly impaired by the changes. Am I correct? I'm also thinking they're wrong on saying it's a 1970's vintage, has to be 10 years newer.....

All input welcomed. This is a very large AD, so I'm quite certain they're not trying to cheat me or misrepresent in any way........:thinking:

onkyo
23 June 2009, 11:42 AM
The AD does not know the year the watch was produced. Go by the serial. :thumbsup:

Changing the crystal to plastic and adding an original bracelet isn't going to break the bank so it may be worth it.

Pics, I am assuming, are not allowed.

:cheers:

Tools
23 June 2009, 11:57 AM
The AD probably doesn't know what he's talking about..

8 mil serial would put this watch in the early 80's.. During that time, the TT and Gold GMT's were fitted with Sapphire crystals and the Sub bracelet was an option, although unusual........

this could be a jewel............

......... of course, it could also be all messed up too.....

SLS
23 June 2009, 11:59 AM
Does it have a nipple dial or wg surrounds?
Scott

unclesallie
23 June 2009, 01:01 PM
thanks guys! i think nipple dial, not sure........

unclesallie
23 June 2009, 01:05 PM
The AD does not know the year the watch was produced. Go by the serial. :thumbsup:

Changing the crystal to plastic and adding an original bracelet isn't going to break the bank so it may be worth it.

Pics, I am assuming, are not allowed.

:cheers:

Pav: now wouldn't THAT be a ballsy move. I can imagine me and the salesperson now: Me: would you mind if i photographed this, so i can
put it on the internet?

Salesperson: sure, why not?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i do think on consideration that watch might just be a buy....i mean it has the new bezel, sapphire crystal, submariner oyster band....looks like the new type clasp...pretty sharp watch. but the bozos at the AD don't seem to have enough expertise to have their info straight...you would think their buyer would know more.......

SLS
23 June 2009, 01:18 PM
I think you need some more info, if it was a sapphire crystal it may be a 16713, if it's a nipple dial, it should be an acrylic crystal and could be a 16753. Was it a quickset date?
Scott

unclesallie
23 June 2009, 01:20 PM
I think you need some more info, if it was a sapphire crystal it may be a 16713, if it's a nipple dial, it should be an acrylic crystal and could be a 16753. Was it a quickset date?
Scott

yes...