PDA

View Full Version : Sd 1665

DiverE
1 July 2009, 06:35 AM
Have just brought my 1st vintage Rolex a 1665 Sea Dweller. It came with no paperwork but included the original box with seahorse photo. The bezel looks in good condition but it now turns in both directions and has a tritium bead at the 12oclock position. It has what looks to me like its original hands and dial. I will probably send the watch over to Rolex at Bexley so that they can fix the bezel and check up on the authenticity. I would greatly value any feedback on whether it all looks right as shown in the photos below.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/m827mike/I4.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/m827mike/I5.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/m827mike/I2.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/m827mike/I3.jpg

:cheers:

Davvan
1 July 2009, 06:58 AM
...itīs a nice looking watch youīve got there. I hope you have done you home work..in that case it should check out as ok. Iīm no vintage expert...but it looks fine to me at first glance.

Regarding the bezel, itīs nothing wrong with it. Itīs bi-directional. Goes both ways as designed.

David

Lol-x
1 July 2009, 10:05 AM
Congrats on that, it looks excellent to me :dude:

Original hands and dial: tritium. Also looks like an original tritium dot in the bezel.

Don't let Rolex replace any of those. Rolex only have luminova now.

Not sure but maybe SteveMulholland has a tritium bezel dot he can sell you that would match the patina of your dial and hand lume. :thinking:

Anyway, I wouldn't go doing anything really to your watch, it looks mighty fine to me.

watchcrank
1 July 2009, 10:07 AM
That looks very, very nice. m

DiverE
1 July 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for you help everyone. I've now got to make up my mind whether or not to keep my sub?

Lol-x
1 July 2009, 04:35 PM
As a side note, I note your username, and I would further advise not to go diving or even swimming with your watch until you have had it properly pressure tested.

You wouldn't want any water to get into it by chance, and waterproof seal can be impaired over time. :agree:

As for your Sub, you always need a back up but if it isn't a 1680, 5513 or 5512 or other vintage model or a green LV then I would probably get rid of it, as personally I would get something else.

It's always good to have another and another and another watch to wear :2: :2:

stevemulholland3
1 July 2009, 06:54 PM
as a matter of fact I do have a couple of tritium pearls left..and a superdome 39 for that rare beauty!!
stevemulholland3@aol.com

martbroad
1 July 2009, 08:15 PM
Super piece congratulations.

Make sure you do not let Bexley replace the dial or hands and the bezal sounds like it missing its little wire spring but thats no big deal

DiverE
1 July 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure now whether or not the dial was originally meant to turn in both directions. At the moment the vote seems to 50/50?

stevemulholland3
1 July 2009, 08:29 PM
it was bi-directional..

Lol-x
1 July 2009, 09:59 PM
I have this model too. There is no click spring in the bezel and it is a bi-directional bezel.

Davvan
1 July 2009, 10:16 PM
[/QUOTE] Regarding the bezel, it´s nothing wrong with it. It´s bi-directional. Goes both ways as designed.

David[/QUOTE]

I have one too.....and there´s nothing wrong with your bezel. It´s supposed to be put under preasure to turn....but that feature is often worn down on these oldies.

David

gmt master x
1 July 2009, 10:33 PM
Very nice SD...

Lowflight
1 July 2009, 10:47 PM
That is a great looking watch. I am trying to trade two of my vintage Rolexes for a 1665 right now...I hope I can find one that nice

Clay
2 July 2009, 07:28 AM
That's a beauty...Wear it in good health...and YES the bezel is supposed to turn both ways.....

007Sub
2 July 2009, 08:05 AM
gorgeous watch! looks like its got original hands, dial and bezel pearl. Take it to RSC to get the movement checked out but dont let them change a thing cosmetically!!! Nice watch!! Enjoy it!

mike
2 July 2009, 08:32 AM
Killer example.:clap::clap: Congrats on a supurb reference.:thumbsup:

CKLinLA
2 July 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for you help everyone. I've now got to make up my mind whether or not to keep my sub?

Congrats. It looks great. Could be a good match for your Sub. You could keep both, at least for now, better that than to sell too quickly and have regrets.

onkyo
2 July 2009, 12:28 PM
Great watch!!

Congrats. :thumbsup: