PDA

View Full Version : My grandfather's 1960

timokie
7 July 2009, 04:12 AM
My grandfather left me his 1960 gold president day-date. I'm thinking about selling it to get a new one. How do I find out how much it's worth? It has a custom 'brushed' texture on the face and the band. I last had it appraised in 1993 and it was $15,000. Any ideas on a source online so I won't get swindled?

adam78
7 July 2009, 05:11 AM
Why would you consider selling an heirloom of such sentimental value (in addition to the appeal itself of a vintage Day-Date)? Just to have a quick-set movement? I have a feeling that the appraisal value far exceeds the true collectors' value of this piece.

johnnybazookajoe
7 July 2009, 05:18 AM
Do you have any children? Would this potentially be handed down to someone else? Maybe you and your grandfather didn't get along... There are alot of factors involved when deciding to keep the watch or not, but I would guess on this forum that most people would encourage you to keep the watch and buy a new one for yourself. My grandfather had 2 watches he wore regularly, but neither one fitted my style, so I kept them both and bought one that I plan on wearing for the next 20 years. Would you plan on another Day-Date?

SLS
7 July 2009, 05:52 AM
You will regret selling this piece years down the road, keep it for sentimental reasons. Does it have a Bark finish? What a watch appraises for and what it sells for are entirely different. I am guessing it will sell in the mid $5K range.
Scott

watchthisone2
7 July 2009, 07:30 AM
What! Keep it, unless you need the money thats fair enough. But to use the cash to buy another, then why not spend a little and send it Rolex, along with the service they will tidy it up and have it looking like new if thats what you want.
Jeff.