PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Datejust information request

teacard
9 July 2009, 06:11 AM
Hi, I must admit to being an Omega enthusiast but I do have a GMT IIc ( promise!!) and maybe the watch in the picture!!

I have not had sight of it but have been told its an early 70's model. Its being offered by a private seller on behalf of his father who is in his 90's!

I notice the bracelet ends have been replaced but I want to ask whether its worth a punt to restore ( have restored to be precise )?

Many thanks, Alan

Tools
9 July 2009, 08:07 AM
My feeling is that any Rolex is worthy of a rescue.. This one is no exception and the head appears to be in good condition.... A rebuild and it would be good for another lifetime.

The bracelet is trashed and I don't think that I would bother with any restoration of it since DateJusts are not usually high dollar (comparatively) pieces. It looks like the end-piece was replaced at some point after complete failure.. It also looks like the wrong spring-bars are being used at that end and should not stick out past the case..

If the price is right, this one may only need a service, new crystal, and a bracelet..

Retail, the service should be about 600USD, and another 800 for a new service replacement bracelet.

Options for the bracelet if the cost of a new one is too high could be an aftermarket piece or leather.....

pz93c
9 July 2009, 10:47 AM
I would.

But I'm a sucker like that. :cheers:

teacard
10 July 2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the info.

Looking at the bracelet and service price - I wont be offering too much - . I'm looking at around £250 ( 400US). Is this taking the urine?

There does not seem to be any point in more as a good one seems to be £1200 ( 1800US).

Thanks again, Alan

crombie
10 July 2009, 11:25 AM
If it can be had at a reasonable price I'd pick it up. Probably just needs some polishing up right now, and the Datejust doesn't have to be worn on a bracelet, these watches look pretty good on a nice strap, since it is a dressier model. It doesn't look too bad to me (depending on price).

pz93c
10 July 2009, 01:39 PM
They do look great on a strap.

I'll try to get a pic of mine up in a day or two.

teacard
12 July 2009, 04:03 AM
I made an offer today and it was declined. He said it was going back in the drawer....

I thought it was a fair offer based upon the potential restoration costs.

Oh well - will keep looking for more....

Thanks for your help, Alan