PDA

View Full Version : Advice on How to Fix up an Old 1016

sgroat
14 July 2009, 12:39 PM
I have my father's old 1016, serial 216XXXX which I'd like to fix up for him. I'll throw down a short list of the problems and see if I could get any advice:

1. Movement is slow and minute and hour hands no longer alight to hours (e.x. at 12, the hands are together, slightly left of 12)

2. Folded link band is missing safety catch, band is in bad shape in general

3. Crystal is scratched, needs polishing

Does the forum have a list of trustworthy watch repair places I could send it to? I'm looking to have the movement fixed without spending rolex prices on it.

Also, what the possibility of getting a new band?

Thanks!

Lol-x
14 July 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi
Those issues are all capable of remedy.
More than anything it seems your watch needs a service.
Depending on the wear of the bracelet it may be a better option to simply buy a new bracelet (or another bracelet in very good condition) that is the correct bracelet for the watch.

There are a number of guys who are known here to do very good work and Dalton and Bob Ridley are two that come to mind.

I'm sure you will get some more tips from other here.

It would be very useful if you could post some clear photographs of the watch you have to exhibit some of the issues you have raised. :cheers:

sgroat
14 July 2009, 01:27 PM
Here are some pics of the problems

stevemulholland3
14 July 2009, 07:01 PM
I have an excellent used bracelet..
stevemulholland3@aol.com

sgroat
15 July 2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks. I pm'ed about it. Anyone else have any advice on a place to send it?

SLS
15 July 2009, 04:18 AM
As recommended, I would contact Bob or Dalton....Bob has built quite a good reputation amongst collectors for servicing vintage pieces. What ever you do, keep the dial and hands original!
Scott

jdc
15 July 2009, 06:29 AM
wow looks to be a great original watch and best kept that way:cheers::thumbsup: As stated Dalton or Ridley would the guys to get an opinion from, best of luck :thumbsup:

pz93c
15 July 2009, 08:55 AM
I don't see any insurmountable problems with that watch. :thumbsup:

I do recommend Dalton.

He turned this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/PZ93C/P1050346.jpg

Into this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/PZ93C/Picture008.jpg