PDA

View Full Version : Having a vintage watch serviced ??

robreport
22 July 2009, 10:23 AM
I have inherited a vintage Gold Oyster Perpetual 1002 no date from my Grandfather. It has been in my possession for 25 years during which time it has remained unused in a box. It seems to work although I have not given it a full wind. Should I have it serviced ? and how much might this cost ? Any precautions I should take with it ? I have hesitated to put a full wind on it but would like to make sure it is in good working order before I try and sell it.

Rob

Lol-x
22 July 2009, 11:58 AM
It must be serviced if it has been sitting for 25 years. Don't operate it until you get it lubricated.

You need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Bob Ridley or Dalton come to mind.

Some photos would be cool to see.

SLS
22 July 2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Rob! I am not sure how old you are, but coming from a parent of two children I would love to have a Rolex from my father or grandfather passed down to me. As Steve mentioned, Bob or Dalton are two great watchmakers that you can trust to get your heirloom back to a daily wearer! The piece itself is not what is deemed collectible in today's standards, but the sentimental value is priceless. Would love to see some pics.
Scott

jdc
22 July 2009, 07:24 PM
if you want it restored to its former glory get in touch with Dalton. If you just want it serviced any watchmaker could do that, if it does not need any parts replacing then would guess you would be looking at $200 upwards. Why don't you talk to Dalton and get an estimate, pictures would help. Your watch is not going to have great financial value, more family sentimental value.

adam78
23 July 2009, 01:42 AM
I think that you would regret selling it, since it likely won't bring more than a couple of thousand (unless it comes with a solid gold bracelet), and it was your grandfather's watch. Now if it were a 20-30K early Submariner, that might be another story...

Widows Son
23 July 2009, 03:15 PM
My first thought was, why on earth would he want to sell it???!!!

adam78
23 July 2009, 11:13 PM
My first thought was, why on earth would he want to sell it???!!!

Well, it's on eBay now. Do a search for "vintage rolex oyster" and it comes up on the first page. Gorgeous watch, with 14K Jubilee bracelet. I wouldn't think of selling it, myself.

Anyway, to the initial poster, if you do sell it, don't worry about a service beforehand. Let the buyer do that. He might have a preferred watchmaker, or prefer to send to a RSC.

Jimbits76
23 July 2009, 11:28 PM
That is a beautiful watch.

Shame the OP can't keep it.

J

goduke1
24 July 2009, 01:18 AM
Very nice watch indeed! Looks like all it would need is a basic service/overhaul and be good as new.

robreport
24 July 2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input and all the information. And yes that is the watch on Ebay.

I love the enthusiasm and knowledge you all have for Rolex's and watches. The truth is that while I can appreciate it, it is not something I connect to. I do not even ever wear a watch, depending instead on my cell phone for the current time.

The watch sat in a case for almost 25 years virtually untouched. I'm 45, I don't have kids to pass it down to and thought maybe someone else could enjoy it, and with the economy the way it is I could use the extra cash.

As for the sentimental value, I do have several things that did belong to my Grandfather that do connect me to him, so while I can relate to that aspect, this particular item does not hold that for me.

Thanks again for all your knowledge and for allowing me to briefly share your love for Rolex. I hope whoever ends up buying it will get as much joy from it.

Rob

robreport
24 July 2009, 09:00 AM
Ooops forgot. Several of you asked to see pictures.

jdc
24 July 2009, 09:43 AM
wow its a shame you cannot connect with such a beautiful watch, good luck with the sale :cheers::thumbsup: