PDA

View Full Version : Superdome

DadsWatch72
25 July 2009, 11:08 PM
Why did Rolex change the crystal shape on the replacement crystal for the 1665? Is that an issue when having it restored if its not the original "rounder" crystal? Are there any truely original genuine Rolex Superdome crystals available?

SLS
26 July 2009, 04:21 AM
They improved itegrity of the crystal. Replacement crystals are acceptable, but NOS one can still be purchased.
Scott

DadsWatch72
26 July 2009, 04:49 AM
I have seen the NOS one's online but I am very sceptical about anything online considering Rolex parts are faked so often for the profit. If I could ensure it is genuine, I may purchase one. I don't have the ability to tell the difference between the two unfortunately.

Lowflight
26 July 2009, 06:27 AM
Steve Mulholland has them. They look fantastic, but only pass a pressure test about 1/2 the time if lucky. All that means is that you should not swim or dive with it. If I ever get a 1665, I am putting a Superdome on it without question. It would be like buying a Ferrari with no Prancing Horse Emblems

DadsWatch72
26 July 2009, 08:45 AM
I think if it was good enough for Rolex to change them then its good enough for me. I scuba dive and I want mine to be able to take at least 100 ft. of preasure. Whats the point of having a Ferrari if you can't drive it...:thinking:

mike
26 July 2009, 10:50 PM
As stated superdome crystals can be had, however whether it may pass a pressure test is always the concern. Over time acryllic can develop stress cracks (it's why they change them).

More than one collector has had their vintage piece flooded due to crystal failure. They do look fantastic though.:cheers: