PDA

View Full Version : Lug finish/edges

Lol-x
3 August 2009, 09:31 PM
This watch has recently undergone a service by Rolex UK.

I don't know about you guys, but to me the bevel along the edge of the lugs totally ruins the appearance of this watch for me.

I much prefer (and would insist) on the edge of the lugs to be a sharp square finish (unless the factory spec required otherwise).

The saddest aspect of this is once that metal along the edge has been removed, it can never be restored again :banghead: :crying:

Is this a case of overpolishing/finishing or is it just me being unreasonable?

Andad
3 August 2009, 09:42 PM
What, you, unreasonable, no way. :chuckle:

I agree 100%, it looks amaturish and almost as if someone is trying to cover up some damage or a polishing mistake.:thumbsdow

SLS
3 August 2009, 09:47 PM
Interesting, I just saw a watch that had the style polish that had also returned from the RSC...just not sure which one, or where I saw it! :thinking:
I have to agree, I do not care for that.
Scott

Dan Pierce
3 August 2009, 09:51 PM
Didn't the case originally have that beveled edge when new?
dP

jdc
3 August 2009, 10:06 PM
it should have a bevelled edge, are you saying it is overdone?

SLS
3 August 2009, 10:08 PM
I think that they took a bit too much off the edge, its not as sharp as it should be IMO.
Scott

bagel
3 August 2009, 10:08 PM
Didn't the case originally have that beveled edge when new?
dP

Yes .... it came with beveled edge when brand new.

Andad
3 August 2009, 10:16 PM
Tapered bevel or smaller uniform bevel and is it supposed to be polished?

Lol-x
3 August 2009, 10:26 PM
Well there can be a very small (width) bevelled edge but this would seem to a good example of how the edges of the lugs should look:

Photo: The Old Watch Shop

And this one too shows a very narrow bevel.

So there are bevels and there are bevels. I still believe the bevel in the first post is excessive and detracts from the appearance of the watch as originally manufactured. :2:

DadsWatch72
3 August 2009, 11:26 PM
I would bring the watch back into a dealer and compare a new Exp with yours while in person. Ask them to measure the bevel on both.

goduke1
4 August 2009, 12:43 AM
Steve I am with you on this. It looks overdone, and the damage can't be fixed without a service case. I can't even see the bevel on the other pics you posted, and yours is very pronounced.

JPersat
4 August 2009, 12:53 AM
It does look a little overkill. The bad thing is, if you try to correct it, the value of the watch will be destroyed. I would definately bring this matter to the attention of Rolex.

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 01:16 AM
I think they ruined the watch IMO. I would expect a new watch and not a new case. I would go to the mat on this one.

Lol-x
4 August 2009, 01:20 AM
The wide bevel is something I also saw done on an otherwise beautiful pointed crown guards GMT 1675. I was shocked to say the least and very dismayed to see that the lugs had been polished in such a manner. IMHO it really spoilt the symmetry of the case.

So if you are in the UK and you are taking your vintage watch into be serviced just be forewarned :agree:

:bye:

Tools
4 August 2009, 01:23 AM
Steve,

I agree.. It may be a case where a good sized nick or gouge needed to be taken out along the edge. I know that we are seeing it in an oversized photograph. Is it noticeable at normal viewing sizes and distances...?

Lol-x
4 August 2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know Larry, the watch is not mine, and I am just going by the photograph.

I doubt the bevel was made wide to cover a ding, as it does appear uniform on each of the four lugs. As I said, I've seen this before on at least a couple of watches that I can recall. I think it is coming out of the service division of Rolex UK.

The 1675 GMT that I saw almost made you cry "why!". The seller actually said that the polishing just didn't give the watch it did previously (and so he had it up for sale). It was a very similar wide tapered bevel and it was just astounding IMHO.

:cheers:

dentman
4 August 2009, 02:41 AM
One of my 5513's has got a badly overdone bevel. Had it about 10 years and this is how it came so can't complain to anyone. To be honest I didn't even notice it at the time I bought it! I would be pretty pi55ed if I had a service on an otherwise unmolested case and it came back like this. Forgot photo see next post... Doh!

dentman
4 August 2009, 02:45 AM
One of my 5513's has got a badly overdone bevel. Had it about 10 years and this is how it came so can't complain to anyone. To be honest I didn't even notice it at the time I bought it! I would be pretty pi55ed if I had a service on an otherwise unmolested case and it came back like this. Forgot photo see next post... Doh!

Here it is...

Welshwatchman
4 August 2009, 03:15 AM
I agree with Larry in that a nasty knick may have been the reason behind the over bevelling.

Out of interest, what impact on value would having the watch live in a new replacement Rolex service?

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 03:15 AM
Man.......thats bad.

onkyo
4 August 2009, 03:40 AM
IMHO it looks great!

RSC UK are not trying to hide anything but instead trying to restore the watch to 'factory' condition with a gradual bevelling to the tip of the lug.

It's a challenge to make it perfectly symmetric on all lugs.

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 04:56 AM
I don't think Switzerland would agree.

SLS
4 August 2009, 05:07 AM
I agree with Larry in that a nasty knick may have been the reason behind the over bevelling.

Out of interest, what impact on value would having the watch live in a new replacement Rolex service?

Do you mean a watch that has been re-cased? It would depend on the watch...but trying to sell a re cased watch now with the amount of nice examples being offered for sale could affect the value substantially. If faced with that scenario, I might see if I could come out better by parting the watch out.
Scott

Woody
4 August 2009, 05:07 AM
I have had a few watches serviced by RSC and this is the standard finish, although the depth of the bevel depends on how much polishing has been necessary - I guess it is a matter of opinion but it looks fine to me. Look through the websites for any number of dealers and you will see the same finish on a wide range of Rolex sports watches.

If owners don't like this type of finish then best to let the RSC know that you don't want the case-sides polished when you send your watch in for servicing. that should avoid any :crying:

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 05:33 AM
All the pictures I find on this watch don't have much or any bevel.

jdc
4 August 2009, 05:36 AM
All the pictures I find on this watch don't have much or any bevel.

they are different models

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 05:39 AM
What model is it? Is it this one?

jdc
4 August 2009, 05:43 AM
What model is it? Is it this one?

no that is a later model, here is a link to explain :cheers:
http://doubleredseadweller.com/oh_e2.htm

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 05:44 AM
How about this one?

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 05:46 AM
no that is a later model, here is a link to explain :cheers:
http://doubleredseadweller.com/oh_e2.htm

I don't see a bevel on any of those either.

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 05:50 AM
I personally think its a UK service center issue unique to them. That bevel on yours in so pronounced. All the vintage Exp's I see don't have any. All the new models don't have any. If there is one there then you can only see it with an eye piece. But on his its right in your face.

onkyo
4 August 2009, 06:31 AM
Rolex UK did the same bevelling on my Exp II and it looks great!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/100_3387-1.jpg

SLS
4 August 2009, 07:38 AM
I don't know Pav, I would have to see it, to believe it....need my address! :chuckle:

Could just be the angle of the OP's pic, yours appears to look the same and has a nice look about it.
Scott

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 08:55 AM
I don't know about them Brits, with their over priced/taxed tea and all.......Its enough to make you want to throw it all in the ocean. I'd be watchin those guys if I were you. :smokin:

maverick
4 August 2009, 12:36 PM
Rolex uses a lapping/polishing machine that goes around the watch and finishes it like that. Possibly the machine was not calibrated correctly to put that much bevel on the edges.

However I think it looks fine. JMHO When I do NOT see a bevel I know it was not done by Rolex. =) maverick

In any case it is a beautiful watch. :-)

maverick
4 August 2009, 12:42 PM
I personally think its a UK service center issue unique to them. That bevel on yours in so pronounced. All the vintage Exp's I see don't have any. All the new models don't have any. If there is one there then you can only see it with an eye piece. But on his its right in your face.

The new style cases have a sharp edge from the factory and are now brushed in one direction as opposed to the older style that 'swirled' around the case, agree?

I think on that watch a bevel is 'correct'. I will admit it is very pronounced on that watch. =) maverick

Dalton
4 August 2009, 12:46 PM
Okay so I figured I would say something, regarding the bevel issue. From my experience, Beveled edges should not be exaggerated, but they are there on most vintage watches, even SD, and Subs had em. I wouldn't doubt if there was a knick and they polished it down with a hard wheel, drank a beer and smiled with pride.

maverick
4 August 2009, 01:31 PM
Here are a few beveled. I did go back to look again and your lug/lugs do look overpolished in that photo.

I have no idea what Rolex can do since they cannot put metal back on and a re-case is out of the question. It looks like the machine got a little out of hand right at the end of the lug.

Re-polishing is not a good option and I can see the spring bars as it is so ????

In my experience the bevel should be even and not have a 'drop off' at the end.

OLD STYLE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/my%20pictures/new%20photos/5513lugcomparison.jpg

NEW STYLE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/my%20pictures/new%20photos/NewGMTIILugComparison.jpg

Lugs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/16800FSa.jpg

Lugs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/my%20pictures/new%20photos/5513a.jpg

onkyo
4 August 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't know Pav, I would have to see it, to believe it....need my address! :chuckle:

Could just be the angle of the OP's pic, yours appears to look the same and has a nice look about it.
Scott

Thanks Scott..... :thumbsup:

It really is a subtle look on the wrist.

jdc
4 August 2009, 05:25 PM
Here are a few beveled. I did go back to look again and your lug/lugs do look overpolished in that photo.

I have no idea what Rolex can do since they cannot put metal back on and a re-case is out of the question. It looks like the machine got a little out of hand right at the end of the lug.

Re-polishing is not a good option and I can see the spring bars as it is so ????

In my experience the bevel should be even and not have a 'drop off' at the end.

OLD STYLE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/my%20pictures/new%20photos/5513lugcomparison.jpg

NEW STYLE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/my%20pictures/new%20photos/NewGMTIILugComparison.jpg

Lugs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/16800FSa.jpg

Lugs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/dennisaa/my%20pictures/new%20photos/5513a.jpg

great info :cheers:

DadsWatch72
5 August 2009, 11:58 PM
The bevel on the Sub, just above this post, is very nice.