Old 1 October 2020, 03:43 PM   #135
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Being mislead in the vintage market

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Hi all, after careful consideration with Stephane and many supportive friends of the forum I have decided to address this thread.

The 1675 came to me in January of 2020. The dial had been relumed as disclosed by the seller. Shortly thereafter I sold the watch as is. In August of 2020 I received the watch back in trade. The watch had been out of my hands for several months and it did not cross my mind that this was the identical watch with an altered dial and several swapped components. As a dealer, I handle dozens of watches on a monthly basis. Often times more. This was a fatal oversight on my part and I accept nothing less than full responsibility.

As a dealer I understand that collectors place a great deal of confidence and trust in me and I do not take that for granted.

Once the issue was brought to attention (thank you @watchknut) I immediately refunded Stephane. His buyer was notified and refunded as well.

I have been an upstanding member of the forum for nearly a decade and have completed numerous transactions; many with members of this thread. Anyone that has dealt with me knows that I take my business very seriously and conduct every transaction professionally. I stand behind each and every watch I sell. This remains unchanged. In the future, however, I will take considerably greater measures to vet any of my purchases prior to them being offered publicly.

I am thankful for the platform RolexForums has given me to start and grow my business and felt that an explanation was owed to all of you. I sincerely hope we can use this situation as a learning experience to both strengthen our knowledge and the community.

Thank you.

Michael Morgan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I would like to thank each and everyone who attends this forum and the love you have for vintage/current Rolex watches; hopefully it remains.

I have thought about this situation over and over again, then just read the comment by MM. IMO, his response is a blatant disrespect to this community. As one who sells some serious pieces and one I have dealt with, the excuse of simply overlooking is inexcusable by any means, especially if one returns the watch after purchasing it. It is ones duty to confirm and authenticate as best as possible before handing it over to the next owner. Not to mention, it is a FULL set OCC dial which is nearly impossible to find. So...to me...I would be ecstatic to find such a piece and do my due diligence.

Based on this incident and another one from the past, I have trouble relating to this being some accident.

Let's talk about factual evidence -

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...1031&highlight

This link shows a 5512 where the one dial foot was missing, then re-attached. Shortly afterwards, MM contacted my via text asking if I would be able to alter the dial feet to fit a Rolex 1530 caliber movement. The 1500 caliber movement never had dial feet in any position other than what you see today, regardless of sport, date, day-date, perpetual or any other... each 1500 caliber dial fits the movement.

I thought to myself this had to be a one-off and left it to that. But after seeing what was clearly not a mistake made me feel that it be necessary for me to share this. As I mentioned, I am seeing and dealing with vintage owner's becoming discouraged and disenchanted about buying these watches. I would like for this to change and continue to appreciate watches that we so proudly wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200927-144858_Messages.jpg (51.0 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200927-144908_Messages.jpg (52.1 KB, 475 views)