View Single Post
Old 1 October 2020, 05:58 PM   #145
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post
[B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I would like to thank each and everyone who attends this forum and the love you have for vintage/current Rolex watches; hopefully it remains.

I have thought about this situation over and over again, then just read the comment by MM. IMO, his response is a blatant disrespect to this community. As one who sells some serious pieces and one I have dealt with, the excuse of simply overlooking is inexcusable by any means, especially if one returns the watch after purchasing it. It is ones duty to confirm and authenticate as best as possible before handing it over to the next owner. Not to mention, it is a FULL set OCC dial which is nearly impossible to find. So...to me...I would be ecstatic to find such a piece and do my due diligence.

Based on this incident and another one from the past, I have trouble relating to this being some accident.

Let's talk about factual evidence -

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...1031&highlight

This link shows a 5512 where the one dial foot was missing, then re-attached. Shortly afterwards, MM contacted my via text asking if I would be able to alter the dial feet to fit a Rolex 1530 caliber movement. The 1500 caliber movement never had dial feet in any position other than what you see today, regardless of sport, date, day-date, perpetual or any other... each 1500 caliber dial fits the movement.

I thought to myself this had to be a one-off and left it to that. But after seeing what was clearly not a mistake made me feel that it be necessary for me to share this. As I mentioned, I am seeing and dealing with vintage owner's becoming discouraged and disenchanted about buying these watches. I would like for this to change and continue to appreciate watches that we so proudly wear.
Just to clarify. You made a a dial from a 1030 movement fit a 1530? More concretely a 6538 dial to fit this 5512. Or am I mistaken and it is two separate projects?

Edit: Two different projects. Still an interesting request even though dial swapping (even between references) isn’t anything new. :)