View Single Post
Old 31 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #82
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex, Oris
This has been an entertaining thread, especially reading the lengths people will go to for a Rolex and the psychology of it all. OP you are on a journey and I respect that, so please don’t take this as disparaging, and thanks for documenting that journey.

A few years ago I set my heart on a Rolex that was not as unobtainable as a Daytona but impossible to find at an AD. I heard all this about establishing a “relationship” with an AD and getting on a list. About buying watches I didn’t want. About the exorbitant prices charged by grays that were ruining this wonderful Rolex designed buying experience detailed by the OP. (Cut production of a super popular product to drive a multi year chain of purchases of a range of other products at msrp).

Instead I paid a 10% premium to a trusted seller and had the watch on my wrist 12 hours later. I’ve loved wearing it, and it’s gone up in value by 50-70%. In the meantime that reference was discontinued and Rolex has raised prices each year. COVID hit and my AD went out of business (despite my buying and servicing a number of watches with him since that I really wanted).

Moral of the story, enjoy your journey so long as you understand that you’re being led along a game in the house’s favor.
Tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote