View Single Post
Old 27 June 2021, 04:04 PM   #68
bob99
"TRF" Member

From watching the show, my observation is that Timepiece Gentlemen's watch prices are through the roof, and their buy prices are always rock bottom. I get that's how they make their money, but I routinely see the same exact watches they're selling for sale at lower prices here in Canada, and the Canadian Dollar is 0.81 cents on the US dollar.

I've enjoyed watching Grey Market, and appreciate that Roman and the gang are running a real company. It feels like TPG are essentially backpack dealers operating out of a 300 square foot backpack. I don't have a lot of faith that they'll ever open their retail store, and if they do, I think inventory is going to be a problem. Their answer to anyone wanting any watch is "I can get it for you", and then they try to hustle it up on the FB groups, which is a very different thing than maintaining inventory. That won't fly at a retail store. The high market prices disincentivize keeping inventory on hand, lest they be stuck with a bunch of stuff they overpaid for if prices fall. But you can't have a retail mega store without inventory.

Finally, the whole grey world is just kind of gross. Someone manages to get a watch for retail, then every middleman who handles it slaps another $1k onto the price of the watch until it's presented to the end user. Same business model as being a ticket scalper, which makes the arrogance of TPG is a bit much to take sometimes. They're acting like they've got some sort of incredible unique business model, when it just boils down to "jack up the price, and hope somebody pays it."
bob99 is offline   Reply With Quote