View Single Post
Old 10 August 2021, 09:11 AM   #38
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Mystro, what do you feel about the high prices on new models that have lower quality / finished movement? In other words, we know the movement's overall quality / decoration is decreasing while prices are increasing, would you agree?

Do you agree Panerai has not honestly and transparently disclosed, especially when directly asked, about the 9010 'Evolution' movement months ago, and only a short time later Paneri is doing the same with the ETA now?

I look forward to your answers.
I know Panerai like many companies are incredibly secretive. Rolex only discloses what they want you to know so it’s not uncommon in the Swiss watch making industry. This is no reason to start reaching for conspiracy theories as the industry has always been this way. I feel Panerai is moving in another direct and putting less emphasis on movement finishing and is pushing their durability/ reliability angle with this new extended warranty. Movement ornamentation has nothing to do with movement quality or actual performance of the movement. I think this extended warranty cost is being made up with less movement finishing, believing their customer base looks at Panerai as a durability brand and not a movement finishing brand like AP. Their outer case and dial finishing is still spectacular and so are their straps. This is the the tactile part of the watch the majority of the customer base really sees. My gut says that is why they took the hacking out of the P9010 because some engineer was tasked to come up with some solution to further the movements longevity between routine services. I don’t believe the actual movement has been compromised in as far as performance in power reserve and accuracy. It’s cost cutting to cover the extended warranty program. Kind of like the way modern luxury cars don’t have a dip stick any more even though most of us want to have this analog way of cowitnessing the oil. Some bean counter has a study that shows luxury car owners don’t like to pop the hood between routine services.

Panerai has always been a bit fuzzy with their movements in as far as what movement is made by them or has been “modified” enough to put their own designation on it much like my OPIII in my Pam 104. The industry as seen a all new customer in that they are far less concerned with the “perfections in the details”. This is true with the new wave of Rolex customers that know nothing about movements and don’t really care. We as WIS are hypercritical of our niche hobby but the reality is the mass buyers that buy luxury watches even at the very top level don’t enjoy knowing or investigating how our automatic movements even work. Panerai is just moving their focus to accommodate this new long term durability for their new warranty.

One thing Panera has not compromised on is their customer service in the way their staff on the phone interacts with their customers. I’ve called them on several occasions and they have been nothing but top rate. Quite honestly, the best customer service I’ve ever experienced from any watch brand. Once again, this is a priority to a luxury watch buyer that might not know much about watches. From my past experience, Rolex is just OK and Omega is absolutely dreadful with how their concierge interact with the customer over the phone. Panerai is a top luxury brand giving a pretty competent luxury experience from buying the watch to buying accessories to asking for catalogs. I get more concerned if I see customer service and factory service centers start to be compromised.
Panerai has it’s own style and attitude and I have never looked at Panerai as anything more than a tough, solid, highly legible luxury watch with outstanding lume. It’s simplicity in design and function is what it’s always been about. It’s never been about movement finishing from what I buy a Panerai for. In that perspective Panerai has not changed. I have always felt a Panerai being the ultimate strap watch was the perfect compliment to the Rolex being the ultimate bracelet watch in terms of not competing with similar styles or designs. As a long time WIS in this game, you have to cherry pick the right Panerai model as opposed to Rolex where all their watches are equal in movements and build.
Panerai price points are what the market will yield as the entire luxury watch industry is up. I try to buy Panerai on the like new in box secondary market and let the first guy take that hit like they do/did with every other luxury watch brand except Rolex. It’s no secret now that the new novice watch buyers are heavily influenced by social media. Brands that are being pushed and brands that are not. Panerai has its Paneristis and they are still a strong tight community but they don’t push Panerai on social medial like other brands. Looking outside our WIS bubble and Panerai is still a very high profile brand in pop/celebrity culture and one look around at pro athletes and top celebrities and it’s easy to see the brand still has its “high profile”image intact for those looking for the larger unique Panerai style.