View Single Post
Old 13 December 2021, 06:48 AM   #15
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Well written and perfectly accurate synopsis of where we’ve been and the contemporary buzz around our hobby and the Rolex brand.

I personally appreciate how you have walked us through time, while providing your sentiment during that period. It certainly helps to frame the scenario better. I can relate to almost everything you have stated, however, my viewpoint emanates from across the pond, which was mainly where I lived during the 80s and 90s era. The whole gamut has changed, as you so eloquently stated. The motivation to buy has penetrated tranches of society that Rolex marketing could only have dreamed of a few decades back. Notwithstanding, I still think that this outcome wasn’t Rolex’s doing, at least I don’t think that this was a masterplan, rather the subtle outcome of a 24/7 connected world. Even back in the 40s and 50s there were idols, people the general public looked up to and tried to emulate, albeit because their styles and habits were seen less frequently, on movie screens or in print media. The phenomenon we are living today is one in which the human need for an idol or figurehead is rammed down everyone’s throat 24/7, thus creating a more intense outcome, a reality that is portrayed in today’s watch market, since watches are one of the trinkets society considers as a sign of success.
Thanks.

It’s like people lining up to see a movie only playing at a single theater, for a block, then many blocks, then a mile, then many miles. The movie becomes so popular it veers into the abstract. Even if the film becomes degraded to the point of unwatchable or the projector breaks down, the line continues to grow, and for the rabid crowds, the point is no longer seeing the movie, but merely getting inside the cinema.

The cinema didn’t plan it. But they’re certainly happy to reap the box office rewards.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote