View Single Post
Old 16 February 2023, 03:44 PM   #84
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
I just wanted to say thank you for attempting to personally stop this crime.
It's what I would have done too. And stupidly obviously at great personal risk. But I respect that. It's instinctual.
Just think of what a happy ending this could have been if you had caught the guy, beat the crap out of him, and recovered your watch.
Seriously if I had caught him in the first 15 seconds my adrenaline was pumping and I was SO enraged that I would have pounded on him to no end without regard to anything. It would have been ugly. The only reason I didn't catch him in the first few seconds is I had to leap over two railings to get to him and he had a head start. I still did catch up to him at one point and got a hold of him, but he broke loose and kept running.

The guy wasn't a big guy at all, maybe a little stocky, but actually probably not over 5'10" As I told the police, he had provided a fake ID to state that he was 6'0" so I expected that, but he was more like 5'10" if that.

However, after my senses kicked in and I remembered my promise to my wife to let it go if anything like this happens, I eased back and still chased him, but not as hard. I wanted to catch him, but I wasn't 100% as committed to catching him, and he got away.

There were a couple of posts about how the money would have worked. I would have no problem with counting out 70 grand anywhere, but let's face it, a thief would never come with 70 grand. He would come with at BEST gypsy rolls of dollar bills surrounded with 100 dollar end pieces.

In my case I was not expecting cash - we were supposed to go to the bank together, stand side by side at the bank teller window, and have the cashier's check handed to me. Obviously this guy has never gotten to that stage before, because he can't figure out a way to fake the payment end of the scam.