View Single Post
Old 6 July 2023, 12:55 AM   #74
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
I think whether a Porsche seems special may depend on how you define it. ...rarity, performance, looks, quality, some combination of those?

I grew up around Porsches. My parents had a 944, 928s, 911 Carrera 3.2 and a 930 Turbo. Back then even the most basic 911s felt hand made, special, drove like nothing else, had better build quality than anything from Italy or England, and you could daily drive them...although the AC was worthless in the summer. It was also a much rarer sight to see Porsches on the road (unless you were in FL, CA, maybe NY). I might see 2 or 3 a week on average, and maybe a few more on a week that I went to a big city. Back then I might see 2 Lambos a year, maybe 6-10 Ferraris a year, maybe 3-4 Lotus Esprits, and maybe 1 Aston every few years. These days, I see cars from most of these brands through out the week and I see several Porsches every day.

Production numbers from all brands are substantially higher than they used to be. So unless you buy a limited edition of some sort, nothing is really that exclusive.

I'm a big fan of 911s (although I wish they were a little smaller), Boxsters and Caymans as I think they are probably the best built, most useable sports cars on the market.

As for Aston Martin, nice looking, but the driving experience and build quality, are a far cry from Porsche. Aston may be more exotic, and turn more heads, but the driving experience was a disappointment compared to Porsches I've driven or owned. Although, I'm not a big fan of PDK, its so much smarter much better than the automatics in Astons. The Aston constantly hesitated trying to figure out which gear it should be in...it just reinforced for me that even if Porsches aren't as exclusive as Aston...its just an all around better car.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote