View Single Post
Old 23 September 2023, 03:20 AM   #18
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetodie View Post
So what do you sugges? They ramp up production to 100k per year and charge pedestrian submariner prices? Or compete with Tudor?
The original fifty fathoms is one of the most beautiful and best looking divers ever made in my opinion. So simple yet so perfect.

I find it a missed opportunity how they have treated the current FF iteration. Too big, bulky and expensive. How hard could it have been to make something similar in all these years?

Blancpain is truly a luxury brand, you need money and are able to lose money on watches like this. That's completely different than buying a Rolex which is more a safe option. There are far from the brand they were back in the 50s/60s. I realize this but that doesn't mean everything they make needs to have a starting price of +10.000 usd/euro.

They did get it right (kinda) in the past few years with two? limited editions with Hodinkee and own of their own (the Barakuda and the tribute to the MIL spec) but those were also very limited and expensive. What else did we expect?

15-18k usd/euro is too rich for my blood for a skindiver. That's why a Glashutte SeaQ at 8-10k is a hard pass as well when the exact same design was used back in the day by brands that no longer exist.

This is from wikipedia. They did produce more. But like I said, that's not the current version of Blancpain.

Quote:
At the end of the 1950s, Rayville-Blancpain was producing more than 100,000 watches per year.[2] To make it possible to meet the continually growing demand, the firm became part of the SSIH, joining such brands as Omega SA, Tissot and Lemania. In 1971, the company's annual production reached the historical peak of 220,000 watches.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote