View Single Post
Old 31 January 2024, 06:35 AM   #29
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: big fat invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
Hey guys, just want to share this with the group as I’ve kept it inside and feel like I need to share and get this off my chest with people who I believe will understand.

A few years ago I inherited a Rolex Oysterquartz from the 1980s from my grandfather who passed away. Unfortunately the oysterquartz was the only watch I inherited from him, and I wore it everyday over my other watches (like a 5711) but it was always grossly inaccurate, sometimes just stopping or other times running 6 hours fast per day. I could not rely on the watch and just wore it for sentimental purposes, but used my phone for timekeeping. It was literally unwearable and I sent it to RSC, after multiple attempts by Rolex to repair it, they couldn’t, said it required a new movement which was no longer available, so I basically had a paperweight. Rolliworks also couldn’t repair.

I wish it was a mechanical Rolex and not the Oysterquartz, which being quartz with unfixable issues really diminished the sentimental value for me. Seeing the watch almost made me mad that my grandfather bought a damn Oysterquartz and not any other mechanical watch that could have been an heirloom for generations! So after much consideration, I decided to sell the watch in its current non working condition and European Watch Company bought it for about $5,000 from me, which I feel was a good value, and it was important to me to take that money and use it for something important that my grandfather would have appreciated/shpported rather than just buy another watch, so I used the $5,000 to fund my IRA account for the year, which I know he would have liked.

Anyways, I’ve kept this inside and whenever I see someone post a watch on here that they inherited from their dad or grandpa, it makes me feel sad about my own situation inheriting a Rolex, but I do believe it was the right decision to sell and my grandfather would have supported the sale and the use of the $5k for an important thing like an IRA.

Just wanted to share this with everyone. Thanks for letting me share and reading this and get it off my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no doubt your gramps is smiling down on you for making such a wise decision. heck, he'd probably be annoyed if you just let it sit in your sock drawer, doing nothing for you.