View Single Post
Old 24 March 2024, 07:15 AM   #65
Seo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Black or white is subjective, of course. I almost always prefer black dials as I feel white dials generally “ wash out” ….and I dislike a lot of wide open white space on dials. Certainly not THIS white Speedmaster.

Another thing I found surprising when comparing the black sapphire sandwich to the white was that the white actually looked SMALLER than the black. Which is just about never the case when comparing white/black on same models. I’ve seen/read in a few places that the white speedmaster’s crystal is more domed which doesn’t seem to make sense at all since they’re both sapphire crystal watches….but it could explain why the white dial speedy appeared smaller than the black dial. Or perhaps because of the contrast between the black bezel and white dial that made the white appear smaller. Whatever the reason, I was really surprised. Not sure if there’s an optical illusion but it was noticeable to me…definitely.
The size effect you mention can be from the fact that the black dial an look like the dial is extended to the bezel as they are the same colour, vs with the white the bezel clearly separates from it.

This effect is present on the daytona too.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote