View Single Post
Old 19 April 2024, 12:37 AM   #1
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Grey market dealer for consignment?

I've been trying to sell my 126618LB privately for the past couple of weeks but due to its price point I've found it very difficult to complete a sale. I've had multiple buyers interested but the deals fall apart every time it comes down to the payment. I don't want to accept a cashiers check because the buyer could report it lost or stolen to stop the funds and then I'm out the watch and the money. The buyers don't want to send a wire transfer and have to wait for it to clear before they can come back and get the watch for the same reasons. The banks don't have that much cash on hand so they'd have to order the funds so the deal can be done on a later day and frankly I don't really want them giving me that much money in cash. I guess this is why more people don't try and sell their watches privately? Is the only solution to go to the local grey market dealers and see about consignment? All the dealers who have reached out so far because they saw it listed for sale are making lowball offers and trying to buy at a very low wholesale price which I understand because PM pieces are slow at the moment and it's expensive for them to stock so they only want to buy steals but that's just not the case with my watch. I don't need the money and I'm looking for a retail buyer so I can get a fair price and not just give it away and take a big loss for no reason. If consignment is the only option does anyone know what they typically charge so I don't walk in blind? I'm assuming it's either a flat fee or a % which would vary from place to place but a general idea or ballpark of what people have typically seen would be helpful. I'd rather just bring the buyer myself and pay a small fee for them to broker the transaction but I'm not sure if they would be willing to do that for potential liability reasons. Thanks for any input!

Note: If I was looking to immediately replace it with another watch I would look into trading it but I'm not planning on buying anything new at the moment.
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote