View Single Post
Old 30 April 2024, 07:41 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I have a 3135 sub that has averaged about +1.5 second per day for more than a decade. I hadn't checked the accuracy for a few years, but it now seems to be almost dead on. It has not been serviced.

Assuming that nothing more than normal wear and tear is happening to a movement (and it has not undergone anything traumatic), is it more usual for the 3135 to slow down or speed up over time? Or are either just as equally likely to happen?

To clarify, I am perfectly happy with my watch the way it is--I am not asking about my watch specifically. I was just curious as to how a 3135 usually behaves as it ages. Or if there is no "usual."
Gravity affects mechanical watches the most that's why they are tested in to AVERAGE -4+ 6 seconds in 5 different positions and temperatures at Swiss COSC. And in those different positions there always will be slight deviations in the timekeeping. Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. But on the wrist wearing given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, different temperature variations, mainspring power reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no, your watch is fine and in spec so don't worry about. But seeing watch is now like you state 10 years old start to budget for a full RSC service in the next few months or so but no rush at the moment.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote