View Single Post
Old 3 May 2024, 07:56 PM   #16
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Well, I wouldn't really worry about value retention, just buy used/bottom of the depreciation curve. You'll probably still lose a bit of money but it's no big deal to enjoy great art.

The GF stuff is amazing, especially the older watches but I think Romain Gauthier, MB&F, Voutilainen, Armin Strom, etc... all give you way more value for the dollar.

The newer GF ones definitely short change a bit on the finishing. I posted a thread on WPS and someone highlighted some examples of this.

Unfortunate since I really was close to impulse buying one of the new S series watches lol
Can someone actually point out where exactly they supposedly cut corners in terms of finishing?

I handled numerous watches of the Convexe collection - there are more sharp interior angles than I can count - with the double balancier those interior angles are visible in the front, with the S2 they are mainly visible on the back if you don't count the interior anlges on the wheels. The mainplate of the S2 is hand grained, so is the entirety of the back. The rehaut is mirror polished, all the screws are blackpolished.

I know I'm somewhat of a GF fanboy but I really don't see where they cut back on finishing. The architecture has changed a bit from the old models, the finishing hasn't imo.

But I'm in the same boat as you are when it comes to value - the S2 is way too expensive as of right now, but I'll def be a buyer when they drop down a bit further.

Last edited by RRJ; 3 May 2024 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: typos
RRJ is offline   Reply With Quote