View Single Post
Old 12 January 2010, 02:42 PM   #1
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

The Rolex Experience: The Authenticity Experts (Part 1)

The Rolex Experience: The Authenticity Experts (Part 1)

I inherited my father’s circa 69’ 5512 Submariner which he used for his deep cave diving and sea dives in the 70’s and 80’s. It was provided to me by my mother a couple of months ago. My father provided the watch to a gentleman that worked for him back in late 94. This gentleman’s father owns a jewelry store that has a specialty in restoration of wall clocks. Apparently from the historical data, the owner of this jewelry store sent the watch to the Rolex service center in New York City and was serviced by them in early 95. On return of the watch, it was stored unworn and untouched until I tired it on two months ago. The rivet bracelet is too big for my wrist, and I’m trying to keep it unchanged. I decided to take a trip to the Dallas Rolex Service Center (DRSC) to see if I could purchase a genuine Rolex bracelet. Here is my Rolex Experience:

Very cold day in Dallas as I approach the Rolex Building in Dallas Texas:

Parking in the visitors parking area you can enter the main lobby through the parking garage:

Exiting the parking garage elevators and enter the main build elevators. Up to sixth floor to the service center lobby:

I walked up to the counter at the service center at 2pm to see about purchasing a bracelet. I showed the gentleman at the service counter the watch and the Rolex New York service warranty card from 95 which was the last time the watch had been serviced. The Rolex Service gentleman said he would take my watch back to see what they could do about a bracelet. About thirty minutes go by and a lady calls me up to the desk to ask for my 95 service warranty card and looked at the serial number and said “yep, I will bring this back to you”. She took the card behind the mysterious built into the wall doors. Remember, I came in to see if they would sell me a bracelet at 2pm. Here I am waiting in the service lobby. Notice the time on the clock!

I joked with the other gentleman waiting with “what are they doing”? Are they dissecting my watch and going to bring me out a bowl of parts? All I want is a bracelet!

Finally the Rolex gentleman returns with my watch without the band and the case back partly on with the gasket sticking out and pinched. He said we have an issue with your watch. Yes, we have an issue…what did you do to my watch and what about a bracelet!!!!!!

Authentic Experts, take a look at these pictures. Do you see anything that is not Rolex?
Watch in Question:

Close macro of the Perl

Picture showing mark that had to be there before 1995.

Close up of font and slight imperfection

Close up of the metal and tooling marks on the metal bezel:

Close up of the bezel groves:

Close up of the tooling of the groves in the bezel

First Post on this watch and more pictures found here: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=104321

More to come in Part 2..
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote