View Single Post
Old 28 February 2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Nicko
Banned

Icon8 My Tudor 7928 Sub Saga **Billjetpilot**

OK, I have decided it’s time to post the saga of my Tudor Sub which I purchased from (a forum member, but bought on eBay) here for all to see and to make those aware of just what you should be aware of when you buy vintage or anything for that matter. I purchased my 7928 back in Dec. and for those who forgot I had a hell of a time (long wait) during shipping. Anyway, fast-forward a couple of months and one morning while I was winding my baby the winding stem broke, I almost passed out. Oh well, off to Rolex, I figured they would be able to take care of it. I get the watch back 2 weeks later with a letter telling me that they are unable to repair the watch due to exhausted stocks. I searched and finally found a watchmaker nearby who was willing to repair my watch; he has been in business and repairing watches including Rolex since 1973.

I received a call the other day from the watchmaker and he told me that the watch most likely hadn’t ever seen a service and if it did then it was ages ago!! He told me the movement was oxidized and dry as a bone and full of shavings from worn parts which was one of the reasons the stem broke while I was winding it.

OK, here’s where it gets good, so stay with me. I filed a PayPal dispute for the repair cost , since it was so long since I purchased the watch I needed to file so that I didn’t get stiffed. I also contacted the seller because when the watch was sold to me, it was sold under the pretense that it was serviced recently and as a matter of fact when he sent the watch to his watchmaker to have the case back and dial installed he claimed the watchmaker said the watch was great and had no problems.

Paypal closes the dispute without even asking me any questions based on the following posted by the seller:

Quote:
The buyer received the watch on the 27th of January and sent payment on the 29th of January. Seven days later, on the February 3rd the buyer left positive feedback on the transaction (eBay item number XXXXXXXXXXXXXX) indicating that he was very satisfied. Now on February 25, twenty-nine days after receiving the watch, the buyer claims the watch is not as described.This vintage watch was accurately described as an authentic 1964 vintage Tudor Submariner. It was sold "as-is" with no warranty. I did offer a 3 day money back guarantee if the watch was found to be significantly different than as described. The buyer could have returned the watch within that 3 day time frame, but chose not to because it matched the description as listed on eBay. He was happy with the transaction and left positive feedback. Now, almost a month later, he has broken his watch and expects me to pay for the repair and a full restoration of the 46 year old watch. Again, this vintage watch was sold "as-is" and without a warranty. I am sorry that the buyer has broken his watch, but I can not be held liable for this unfortunate event.
Now he won’t answer any emails.

My watchmaker has taken photos and will be posting them on his website as an example of what happens when you do not properly care for your watch and have it serviced regularly. He will also be taking after shots to post as well. I will be posting the photos as soon at they are sent to me or posted on his site.

I would have NEVER bought this watch had I know it was never serviced. I think the seller knew it was a lemon and needed to pawn it off on someone else. So, let this be a lesson to all of you who go looking for deals on the internet, sometimes they are not as good as they seem. I paid $2,500 for the watch, another $500 for a vintage rivet bracelet and now I have to pay for the service to get the watch fixed, cleaned and pressure tested. My watchmaker said he will have to make some of the parts that have worn. I could get a list of parts and try to find them and get them to him but I am just going to let him fix it. I am sick and upset at the entire situation and just had to vent. I have had the watch on my wrist about a half dozen times since I received it and now it will be in service another month!