View Single Post
Old 25 June 2010, 02:20 AM   #13
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
I have had my first Rolex (a beautiful polar Explorer II) for just a few days now and I'm wondering about getting the cyclops removed.

Now, I'm not going to rush into things. I'm going to wait at least two or three months before doing anything. I like the magnification, but it bugs me that it can't be read at a glance - I need to look practically "straight on" at the face of the watch to read the date. I knew before I bought the watch that this might be an issue because my previous watch (Tag Aquaracer 500m) has a cyclops that I disliked. The Tag cyclops is much smaller with a more limited viewing angle than my Explorer. I definitely like the cyclops on the Rolex better than the Tag - actually, I like pretty much everything about the Rolex better than the Tag.

I've looked at the threads about cyclops removal, and the Explorer looks great without one. However, none of the threads mentions the cost of removal. Will Rolex even replace the crystal with a non-cyclops crystal, or will I need to get somebody else to do it? What is the rough cost? Will Rolex service the watch with a different crystal in place?

In all likelihood, I'll just get used to it, but before I seriously consider anything, I need to know what I'm getting myself in for.

Thanks

PS There is an upside. I have to look at the watch for a few seconds longer to read the date, and I really like looking at the watch.
I try it on my DateJust, I will say it's very hard to read the date after it was removed.

I start with my cyclop remover kit.

Pull it up in my full size Bergeon case holder.

And start the work.

Damn, Rolex have quality glue so I have to warm it up a bit.

Now I hope it will come off.

Ouups, not so good.

What do you think, did I have to change crystal? Or can it
be polished?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote