View Single Post
Old 8 December 2010, 02:04 AM   #22
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello friends Coonor and Hunds!
I appologize for entering in the conversation between you, but I couldnīt help not to liesten what you were talking about, and then my desire to throw my grain of sand.

It seems that everybody has his own method to put a watch to run, and everybody has his own right to do so in the way they wish or was taught to do.
The only thing I wouldnīt ever advice, is to shake an automatic watch to begin running.
This is a bad habit in my modest point of view, which could put undesirable stress in the works of a good watch.

Now, I own a little collection of Rolex watches, both brand new and vintage, and have observed every one has its own "personality" to start.
In brand new models, almost without exception, it requires to wind at least 30 to 40 turns to the crown, to wind it and start the seconds hand working. Then I set the correct time (and date if required), and ready to go.

Then I got some vintage ones, like a 5508 Sub no guards, and a TT GMT that as soon as I get them from the watch box I keep them, the slight movement of taking it from the box, and handling (without shaking) make the second hand begin moving.
This is something which makes me wonder sometimes, but it is the way it works for these two watches.
Then I wind it about 30 to 40 times manually, and set the correct time, and strap to my wrist.
It is true, that if the watch starts as soon as I handle it, it will only require to strap it and it will keep running IF, I move myself a little, because if I do not move my hands, and I do not wind it a little, it will stop in about half a minute.

So, I personally recommend:
1) Never shake a watch to start.
2) wind it at least 30 times if you are going to use it.
3) Donīt expect to keep running for long if it starts with only a gentle movement of your hand, if you do not move yourself a little, and if you do not wind it manually at least 30 to 40 turns.

Well thatīs only a personal point of view and experience, of course!!
Just wished to share!
Enjoy your watches friends! Kind regards, Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote