View Single Post
Old 20 December 2010, 04:11 AM   #16
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Thanks for the answer

I have a few more for you if you don't mind. As for age groups, what would you say the most buyers come from? Is Rolex purchased mostly by people over 30? Or the majority of buyers are over 40?

As for women coming to the store and trying on Rolex watches, do you see a difference in their ages than compared to women who come in to try on Omega or other brands? Can one say Rolex ladies' models mostly just attract women over 35-40? I'm asking this because even though I love Rolex watches, my wife (who's 29) says Rolex ladies' models look boring and "maybe I'll like them when I'm over 40". I don't agree with her about such an agish comment, but I have to agree about Rolex lacking dynamic and fashionable models. I suppose introducing the colourful Daytona leather straps and exotic dial colour choices are because Rolex noticed that issue.

If Rolex watches tend to attract people over 30, do you see a change in that trend since the revamping of Rolex models, so let's say since 2005? Do the supercase and ceramic bezel help to widen the Rolex customer base?
The more questions the better

With regards to demographics, for gents, it's quite a mixed bag. Certainly we do get a lot of guys in their 30s and 40s buying, but we do get quite a lot of younger guys in as well. There seems to be a universal appeal on the gents line, no matter what age, there's a Rolex for everyone.

For women, the range is slightly more conservative, and does appeal for a slightly older demographic, mainly 30s/40s upwards. Saying that, though, some younger women are looking at the full size gents watches as well, although the big watch trend hasn't completely taken off where I work. The new models Rolex have brought out for ladies does seem to be aiming at a younger demographic, especially the 31mm and 36mm ladies' models.

The new sports models have definitely widened Rolex's appeal - the ceramic GMT and Sub have been getting a lot of attention from younger guys. The perception that Rolex is a bit old fashioned is definitely changing: the Milgauss, Datejust II, GMT IIc and Sub-C are leading the way for the younger demographic