View Single Post
Old 17 January 2012, 07:09 AM   #41
experimentjon
"TRF" Member

Looks like this thread got bumped back from the dead.

I personally own one Robert Poseidon 39mm (back when I was into smaller watches), a Steinhart Ocean 1 42mm with green bezel (because I know I couldn't afford a 16610LV which is my true grail), and an Ocean 1 GMT Pepsi 42mm. I've always regarded these as very well-made watches. Tons of value for the money, and they just looked and felt good on the wrist. While they are homages of Rolexes, I think they're distinct enough to be different: primarily 42mm case and 22mm lugs really set it apart as a chunkier watch.

The first time I actually tried on a Rolex Submariner (still want one) was at a bar for happy hour with my boss who had one on his wrist, and was talking about how much he beat on it while surfing/diving, etc. I just had my Ocean 1 on. Already, you can see why I'm the newbie, and he's the boss. But when I tried the Sub, the first thing I noticed was that it was considerably lighter than my Steinhart, smaller, and had a cheaper-feeling bracelet. To be honest, it was a tad bit underwhelming. At the same time, I was extremely excited to finally have a real sub on my wrist and admired it for a good few minutes.

I think the takeaway is that Steinhart does make a very good watch. If you can't afford a Rolex yet (like me), this is a great stepping stone to see if you like the design/style. The fit and finish is top notch, the size/weight/feel are great, and the movement is a quality one from ETA. But now, it's time for me to save up for the next step up...and I guess that's why I'm here on TRF now. :)
experimentjon is offline   Reply With Quote