Thread: 233 vs 372
View Single Post
Old 5 October 2012, 07:57 PM   #70
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcraze007 View Post
Agree on most counts Clive ;) but when it comes to the facsimile notion, why do some pay $$ for a Le Corbusier designed chair produced yesterday, or a Morgan car? It's about the lessons of history placed into what seems to be a simple (base, in Pam language) design. In design, "less is more".. "Form follows function " and that usually means simplicity.
Also IMHO. Cheers

Thanks my friend

Actually, along with the contempories the PAMs I like most of all are the Historic Luminor Marinas, especially the 111. I think there is an honesty in their design, in that the essence of historic/vintage pieces is present, but without trying to pretend they are something they're not. The pricing is also a bit more realistic!

I like what Panerai are doing with in-house movements, especially as I am a fan of long power reserves. I think it will be interesting to see where they go with current ETA-powered models. Perhaps they will use the cal. P.999, or something newer? I would love to see a '111' (or whatever they might call it) with a 3-days in-house movement and quick-change strap system (although this would not be a deal-breaker ...I'm just a bit lazy!)