View Single Post
Old 2 December 2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I actually misspoke about doing this job the way Larry did because I was going from memory. I went down and put the back on the case and the lugs will clear nicely after all, sorry bout that mistake.

Here are a few shots; the one on the left is the holder I made just for the case back of this particular watch and so I wouldn't forget what it was made for in the future, I hand engraved what it was for on the side. It serves as good lettering practice as well.

The one on the right is just a quick and dirty movement holder but I machined the inside step and rim to a dimension to allow the movement to sit down in it with the dial on yet with enough clearance to allow the sweep second hand to go round without issue. The engraving on it however, was sloppy at best, I was in a hurry to use it so the lettering this time suffered as a result. Not important for its use.

The rest is with the back held in by four drops of super glue that I'll release with acetone when I'm done and simply pop the case back out of the jig through the hole I made for this purpose. The ID is an exact fit with absolutely no slop and being made of aluminum it won't pose a danger of harming the threads.

The scothbrite wheel I obtained from CasKer and it puts a proper grain pattern back on case parts although I need to hit this one a little more then polish around the edge to finish up.

The method that Larry used is more safe in practice if you're not used to doing things like I did. The engraving on this case back covered the entire circular area with a lot of text about retiring from IBM and some sort of club and was cut deeper than the one in Larry's case. His way is a lot easier if you have the time and things are relatively shallow.

By the way, the watch case is a 16030 datejust with a 3035 movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8100.jpg (61.8 KB, 4288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8101.jpg (50.4 KB, 4285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8103.jpg (92.8 KB, 4279 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8105.jpg (92.8 KB, 4280 views)
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote