View Single Post
Old 15 April 2013, 10:44 PM   #19
R44
"TRF" Member

I have a 1680 white with exactly the same dial on it (part of a collection that includes a Daytona and a 1680 Red amongst others) and I can tell you the following about it, It has never glowed in the dark in any shape or form which leads me to believe it may have been an early Tritium service dial (fitted fairly early on in the watches life or even from the factory). My watch is a 1978 watch sold in 1979 and came complete with original papers and Rolex AD sales receipt. I've seen a number of these dials around since I started looking and I am convinced some of them were fitted at the factory as most of them seem to be from 1978 or 79 (happy for someone to prove different / put forward other ideas). The dial and hands are super clean shade of white and it's a perfect combination of vintage without the decay, over the top patina / badly aged look that personally doesn't work for me.

What I will say is if you like it buy it! I did and I find it gets the most wear out of any of my watches, the 1680 is a classic and and in a different league in my opinion to the 16800 with a sapphire crystal. I've worn mine for weeks and weeks at a time over other watches as it wears very comfortably and looks great with anything. At $5k you won't regret it - I'd have to think carefully if I'd part with mine for double that!
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote