View Single Post
Old 1 August 2013, 08:59 AM   #34
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiefhunter View Post
Hi Everyone. Just a few words on Rolex theft: Yes, it happens, and yes, you should not flaunt (wear) your Rolex in certain cities if you want to be sure you'll keep it. In Naples (a city I love), just wear something else. I study and report on theft around the world, and as you'll see from the links above, which are to my blog and the documentary National Geographic made about my husband Bob Arno and me, Naples is our best and favorite laboratory.

The Rolex thieves in Naples are not kids, MP5. And superlollo is right: in Naples (among other cities): just don't wear it.

No, you won't necessarily see it coming. In one common method, the thieves sneak up on you from behind on a scooter with the engine turned off. You don't hear it—they just roll up, pin you from behind, and snatch it off your wrist. The Rolex clasp looks strong and safe, but the weak point is the tiny pins that attach the watch to the bracelet. See "How to Steal a Rolex" at http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/2008...steal-a-rolex/

I love the description in the article gbany posted above: "Naples really is a paradise inhabited by devils." So true, but they are warm and otherwise good-hearted devils, if you can say that about a thief. I call Naples "the city of hugs and thugs."
Unbelievable You say that "Everyone is wearing Rolex watches and the kids of thieves wear Rolex watches yet they don't have 1 euro in their pockets" yet the cops don't do anything. I said it a million times if your in unfamiliar area leave the watch home or worse case take it off and put it in your front pocket if need be. Hope you friend can recover it but chances are better hitting the lotto sad to say.
TRF member #917