View Single Post
Old 21 January 2015, 05:43 AM   #95
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
Your point is very well taken, but my point is this: You don't know where the watch actually came from, and when you buy from anybody other than an AD it could very easily be a bogus warranty card. It doesn't mean Rolex won't honor the warranty; it just means it could very easily be faked especially considering you probably won't need a real service in the first two years and you'll never know. And in one sense that's fine, if you have no problems. Even if a watch was stolen, you'd never know until Rolex has some reason to check the serial number. I think in case of regulating a clearly new, legitimate watch, they're not going be too vigilant. So does it matter where you got the watch? It does, if you care about the legitimacy of your purchase. In a worse case scenario the watch could be used, or a fake, or stolen, or returned, or just sourced under questionable circumstances.

What I object to in this whole mess is the claim that there's no difference between making a purchase from an authorized dealer and someone who just somehow got a new watch to sell below retail; as if you just saved money and are therefore smarter to do it this way. In that discount is the potential for all kinds of mischief, and no guarantee you got what you thought you did. If you go the AD route you have maximum assurance you got the real deal and the warranty and the knowledge it came straight from the manufacturer and onto your wrist. When you're making a big, expensive purchase that means something to you, I think it's worth paying more. I guess, when you get down to it, it's a matter of priorities. Save a few bucks, or make sure you get a rock-solid watch.
I also pose this question. If any of these trusted sellers on the forum every wronged and sold fake/false warranty stuff and watches, if something ever happened do you think we would still see them here? Would it not destroy their entire business? Would they lose their lively hood? If the answer is yes to any of those questions I don't think they would do it. this is how some of them feed their family and that would be pretty tough pill to swallow if they decided to do something like that and then could not supply for their families.

I must also say that the watch I purchased that needed to be regulated, had the ad stamp like I said. I called them and discussed the watch with them. So yes again trusted sellers can purchase the watch from an authorized dealer and the DEALER puts your name on the card. so no mischief had been managed, just at the time i got a better deal because of the leg work that one of the trusted sellers had already put in to form a relationship.

But hey I have no problem with you keeping your opinion on the sellers, and watches listed on the forum, and I will keep mine, as someone who has walked on both sides of the fence and see advantages both ways.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote