View Single Post
Old 14 April 2015, 09:45 PM   #70
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
Maybe there is no Rolex that he wanted at the price range of his IWC or his 000? or maybe he already has all the Rolex he wanted at this price range, that's why he went ahead and bought the 000 and IWC?
This proves my point: if there are valid reasons for selecting one brand over the other, then perhaps the word NEVER in all caps repeated ad nauseum isn't the advice he should be dispensing to others. For example, people who have asked if they should trade their Rolex on a Panerai/IWC have been told "NEVER" to do so, even though your scenario would hold true here (they obviously like the Panerai/IWC better and are tired of the Rolex or would not be considering such a trade).

Point is, as I said: "NEVER" means never, full stop, and that is a patently ridiculous thing to say: there are always valid reasons to select one over the other. If instead it was "I wouldn't do it because x, y, z..." it would come across as more reasonable and thoughtful than a blanket "NEVER", which just sounds pompous and silly and denigrates the other brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
If there's a Rolex and a PAM that I am considering and they are in the same price range, take a wild guess which one I'd pick?
Well, then I would say that you made the right choice for you, but others might choose differently. But always telling people they should NEVER pick one over the other is pompous and presumptuous in my view, as opposed to politely issuing an opinion and giving a few actual reasons for it.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote