View Single Post
Old 18 April 2015, 05:33 AM   #93
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
agree with this and would offer we should remember Panerai is the original big watch.
They sell watches that are the same sizes as they originally produced from their beginning.

it is as if they created the market but had to wait 50 years for it to catch on… like a great painting, if you will

however Panerai's business decisions are another story, i do not believe they have served the customer well with their endless supply of special editions and price gouging on the same imo.

thats where the 000 & 111 come in, fairly priced and consistent favorites. like a submariner:)
I think you are exactly right. What drew me to Panerai was the authenticity of their large size. I previously owned a Navitimer and while I loved that individual watch and sold it for personal reasons, I saw the direction Breitling was heading and I would be lying if I said it didn't affect my decision. Flash forward a couple of years; I have a nice collection of Rolex watches all in the 39-42mm range. I wanted something bigger. The only IWC I really considered was the Big Pilot which is obviously authentic in size, but the enthusiasm I saw for Panerai on this forums is what really got me excited about the brand.

Panerai has always been about 44-47mm watches and while I favor those on the smaller end of the range, the PAM 372 is as close if not closer to the Luminors of the 1950s when compared to the legacy of the Submariner over the years. To me this is an example of what Panerai has done right. I think the 44mm Luminors and 45mm Radiomirs comprise a nice body of work for the brand. The larger Radiomirs, Radiomir 1940s, and Luminor 1950s should stick to the formula the 372 or 587 has. The variation in these larger models and all the different editions is where I get lost. Outside of the 2012 year of Special Editions, I think Panerai has greatly missed the mark.

Just my very very humble opinion of the brand. I like what I have, I might add to it in the future but would be more excited about doing so if OP streamlined a little more.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote