View Single Post
Old 8 September 2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknight167 View Post
Good Morning,

Thinking of taking the plunge and buying my first Rolex (first ever watch actually). Torn between a Bi-Metallic Submariner, black bezel/dial or the new Sea Dweller. Any suggestions how much to pay/good Authorized Dealer in the U.K that might actually have these in stock?

Thanks.
Hello there and welcome to the forum. My belief is that the watch purchase decision can be divided into 3 criteria and you should choose based on how well either of your 2 choices meets these 3 criteria.

First is the visual - because you'll have to look at it frequently, does the watch look pleasing to your eye? We all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so this is very subjective and would vary from person to person. The Sub has gold on it; the Deep Sea is large and chunky. Both have their merits visually so best to look closely at each and decide which one sits best with you.

Second is the tactile - how does the watch feel against your skin? Some people like big heavy watches, others prefer light, thin ones. I have friends who can't stand wearing chunky watches because they feel it impedes their movement; others think slim watches are a waste of money because the perceived material input is not high enough. Again, a subjective area and only you will know - but you'll have to wear both first before deciding.

Third is the psychological - and this is possibly the most important. Many watch buyers (not just of Rolex) base their decision on such intangibles as scarcity and perceived investment value, ie. they might buy because the watch is difficult to find and/or they think they can resell it in time to come for a higher price. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this approach - you never know what the future holds - but if it gives you comfort knowing that what you have on your wrist is desirable and could appreciate in value, then by all means go for it. Other psychological variables include whether the watch will garner admiring comments from friends, whether it might fulfill the role of a conversation piece, whether you're the first person in your country/neighbourhood/ to own one and so forth.

As for price, I'm not sure what the UK prices are, but in Singapore, the 2-tone Sub sells for around US$7,000 (after a 15% discount from ADs) while the new Deep Sea's list price is about US$9,300 but it's street value is currently US$12,000. I believe the same premium applies in other countries as well, at least judging by my ebay observations. However, I expect the latter's price to descend to saner levels in time to come, once the novelty has worn off.

Hope this helps and good luck deciding!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote