View Single Post
Old 9 April 2018, 01:57 AM   #64
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
^this is good then. You must realize, there are plenty of posters who would buy tomorrow, in the midst of all thinking. I’m making sure you think everything through appropriately, as you’ve just reiterated you have intentions of doing. Perhaps you misconstrued my tone, I was simply trying to help/possibly save you money, not be rude.

Seriously though, what about the 1815 chrono? Do you have no interest in this? And what about the Royal Oak Offshore?
I get it-- it's hard to convey tone in a forum post, and it's also hard to convey that I'm both excited about this purchase and not an impulsive person. Sometimes too much in the other direction-- way too analytical/deliberative about big stuff. When we buy cars I have a spreadsheet I built that takes in total cost of ownership including insurance, service, gas mileage, etc for a true apples-to-apples comparison. I haven't quite done that for this purchase because it is more emotional than logical, but trust that I'm taking it seriously and not throwing money around randomly!

I'm very much not into the Offshore from seeing pictures online, but when I'm in the Vegas boutique I will certainly be sure to take a look at them. One of the most interesting parts of watch research is how different things look/feel in the metal/flesh than online. A few years ago when I bough my SubC, I was totally not into the watch online, but when I saw it in person I fell in love and am now absolutely delighted by it.

As for the 1815, I am not really into painted numerals. For me, one of the most appealing parts of quality watches are applied markers and how they reflect light and add depth to the dial. I checked it out yesterday but didn't try it on. Now, the movement in that piece is gorgeous and I wish the Grand Lange 1 had as much exposed movement visible, but oh well. The other thing about the Grand Lange 1 versus the 1815 is that the Grand Lange plays with dial texture in subtle ways-- the sunburst finish on the time and seconds subdials versus the flatter black finish of the main dial is really slick. I expect I'll be quite taken with the guilloché on the AP dial when I see it as well-- the polished rehaut and guilloché should do really nice stuff with reflecting light, as well as the interplay of polished and brushed surfaces on the case and bracelet. My attraction to the fluted bezel DJ41 on jubilee is in part for the light reflection and sparkle-- I do like that a lot.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote