View Single Post
Old 21 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #13
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb30 View Post
Hello all! I am looking forward to purchasing my first Panerai later this year. I am looking hard at a used 335 (or highly discounted new one). I am a fan of the if you like it buy it attitude, but am also a little worried about potential resale value.

I was wondering which, if any pams, do you consider to be models that have a chance to go up in value over say the next 20+ years? I know the bronzo and some others might fit this mold. Also if you could add why you think so?

I just figured that if I can afford one that might go up in value, and like it too, it might be a better purchase.

thanks!
335 is a lovely PAM; I have one, and it probably gets the most "wear-time" of the bunch, given its resistance to scratches. It is a bit unconventional (black ceramic case, automatic, dial design) as far as PAMs go, so because of that, the value retention would be hard to predict. Certainly if you buy it at retail, you're going to lose a bit - but that's the case on many PAMs (and many watches in general, save for the ones that you'll never see on display...). And you already alluded to not buying at retail or new.

I like the 127 (prices have dropped since the frothy heights of the brand) and the 172. Importance and rarity are the two things they say to look for in collecting things. "Importance" (127 being the first 1950s case produced by modern era Panerai; 172 = Panerai's foray into experimentation with rarer materials for case production) and "rarity" (1950 units for 127; 300 units for 172). And of course they both have the old-school decorated Unitas movements that Panerai won't release any longer.

Ultimately, get the watch that you'll derive the most utility out of. While we'd be fooling ourselves to say that price paid and resale aren't important considerations, at the end of the day, the enjoyment of the experience is what should matter most. And if you're not using the watch at all, this would detract from that experience.

335 - you'll use it without worrying about scratches; it pairs well with a multitude of straps. has GMT function, so you can travel with it.. and its understated nature isn't as "in your face" as a polished / steel PAM. And you'll probably never run into anyone else wearing the same watch, if that matters much to you.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote