View Single Post
Old 3 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #2
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Hello,

Years ago, this forum used to be flooded with really interesting, esoteric knowledge of Rolex shared by people who really knew their stuff. The first time I heard about a "Bart Simpson" cornet was here. The first time I started learning about the stop-start history of the Daytona was on here, etc.

But now it is primarily a mix of "how do I get a Rolex" (universally, go grey) or "is this Rolex over-polished" (universally, yes) or "is this a good deal" (universally, I wouldn't) with a few incomings mixed in...

Where did all the experts go? Where did all the amazing information posts go?

The other day we had one of said posts - about Rolex hands not being in-house. It felt like half the replies where, "why are you posting this?" so I believe the culture has fundamentally shifted away from knowledge based posts.

So I ask, where did all the education go?

-Paul

There’s still content based posts with movements being dis-assembled and I often learn something new and interesting. I can’t say what it was like five years ago and there’s probably more noise now. Then again there are many new owners and not all are necessarily interested in watches beyond an investment or statement.

Does TRF have significantly more members now than five years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote