View Single Post
Old 14 July 2012, 07:36 AM   #22
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
Another question - when did they start? It wasn't long ago when watches were just watches. Some were gold, some were chrome plated steel, some newer ones were stainless - but all were just watches. And Rolex made some very good ones of all types. The gold ones were relatively expensive and usually worn for dressy occasions and by better-paid office-type workers. The steel and chrome, much more affordable, worn by almost everyone else. If the job was dirty and the watch might get harmed, the watch was often put in a pocket - even a cheap watch was too expensive to bust up needlessly. Thats what I did with my Bulova in those days (mid-60's).

But Rolex (and others) developed watches to fill a specific need - like diving, boat racing, etc. These were relatively expensive, but had a real purpose that was harder on the watch - resulting in designing them with heavy, non-corrosive stainless cases, etc. Thats probably when the term 'tool' was added to describe those watches. But Rolex has made very dressy, but more fragile, watches since the beginning.

Its only in more recent years (say 20 -30, a short time in terms of watches) that Rolex recognized an opportunity and filled (or developed themselves) a big market niche by manufacturing their stainless 'tool' lines in TT and all gold. Men, primarily, liked the 'tool' look, but wanted those bigger, macho, impressive watches to be dressier - to wear at the party and in the office. I worked in heavy construction and manufacturing-oriented industries for years and saw my bosses go from wearing Timex-type watches (cheap, tough, expendable) in the 70's - to the late 80's, when it became the thing to wear expensive gold watches, kinda like bankers, only in the heavy 'tool' designs, along with some pretty hefty YG diamond pinkie rings - sorta the 'macho' and 'got money' look combined. Management, and the construction trades, alike, also started making some pretty significant wages at that time, as well. Such is fashion, hell, nothing wrong, and nothing new under the sun there.

So, I don't think that Rolex watches are all 'tools' - never were, never will be - and they didn't quit the on the 'tools.' Their 'tool' line just became more expensive, right along with macaroni and hamburger. And that line became ever more popular with the general population. Its just business, marketing, whatever - Rolex will try to be whatever the market wants, while still being Rolex, of course, and will make just as much profit as they can. And we like their products. My opinion.
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote