View Single Post
Old 6 March 2011, 02:06 PM   #11
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Looked at the ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy72379 View Post
Thanks for the input Steve. Its all the more reason I'm going to call and ask questions. Other than asking about bracelet stretch, what else should I be asking about? I know from reading here in the forums that there's variations of the clasp and jubilee bracelet. Also if the watch has been restored back to original showroom condition does that affect the value?
I pulled up the Capetown ad. This is a nice looking watch. I would want to know when the last full service was done. If it was within the last two years, I would add as much as $500 to the value. The bracelet looks to be a D link version, which is a plus. If they say that the "stretch" isn't bad, that would be a big plus. A lot of the value of a Datejust is in that bracelet. If the bracelet is crappy when you buy it, you may want to replace it in a few years, and a decent, used, tt jubilee could easily run you $1,000.

The clasps were all bent metal things that are not as nice as the newest models. Not to worry, they're fine-- just not as good. I've got 50 year old one still in use.

As to the price, this price is OK and could be very nice depending on the service history and bracelet condition. One thing about a Rolex purchase for the watch you really like, it could easily outlive you. If you over pay by 33%, let's say, it will cost you about $25 per year for the next 30 years. That's really peanuts. If you save the same money but get a watch you aren't thrilled with-- you'll get to stare at it on your wrist everyday.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote