Thread: The Tridor
View Single Post
Old 25 October 2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Tridors were the unloved stepchild of the DD group. They were the most expensive of the bunch as the cost was high to manufacture the blend of white gold, yellow gold and rose gold in the center links. Typically, they were a special order item. A lot of people thought they looked too much like a TT DJ and so they weren't all that popular based on that fact and the additional expense. That logic eludes me since a WG DD or a Plat. DD can look like SS to the non-WIS, yet they are still made and sold. The Tridor was discontinued in or about 2002. As noted in my initial post, the Tridor came with a YG bezel, but a WG bezel was available as an option (which is a little-known fact).

The story behind my Tridor is interesting. An old girlfriend of mine had been shopping for a lightly used Platinum DD for years without success. Finally, in 1994 she was at an AD who said he could get her a NOS Tridor (with an 8900 serial # circa 1985-86) for around $14K (retail then was about $20,400) ... the watch had been sitting in a vault at Rolex Geneva and had a YG bezel and white dial. She said she'd take it since she wanted a nice DD, but insisted on the WG bezel and rhodium roman dial. She got it and wore it for a while. Then, when we hooked up, I fell in love with the watch ... at that point, she had sourced a lightly used Platinum DD for a good price. So, I bought the Tridor from her at a discount (all boxes and papers included) and she then bought the Plat. by adding some $$ to what I paid for the Tridor. I don't know what happened to her, but I sure know how well the Tridor is doing.

Regards.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote