View Single Post
Old 6 April 2008, 09:42 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
I apologize for my earlier posting emphatically calling the dials in questions misprints. I confirmed at the Rolex booth 4.4.08 with a Rolex rep. The truth of the matter is that the movemets of the watches with the dials that are missing the roman numerals actually contain the new GMT II movement (3186) as is found in the "ceramic" GMT II (reference 116710). Rolex put the new movements into the "old" (16710) to test the movement prior to putting it in the new case. I know, you think I am full of it, but the truth of the matter is if you have both watches in hand and adjust the 12 hour hand, the 24 hour hand flutters in the old movement (3185) and not in the new movement. Try it for yourself, you will see the difference. So the answer is that it is not a mistake, but an intentional variation so that Rolex could monitor more easily the new movement prior to releasing the 116710. They are obviously rare and limited. Sorry again for the bad information earlier.$
Well would hardly call the Cal 3186 a new movement a modified 3185 yes but completely new no.Just a parachrome hairspring and a more precise GMT hand setting mechanism and now movement is slightly thicker,hardly equates to a completely new movement.A new movement in my book,Is a completely new design from scratch,but to re-tool and make a brand new movement for production costs millions.Most of the Rolex line up are just clones of the Cal3135 with added complications.And the main reason for the development for the parachrome hairspring was to be completely self sufficient 100% in-house.Instead of getting escapement parts from Swatch ETA owned Nivarox-Far.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote